Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #1
uther
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bannatyne Dri Flo

I currently use a simple bottle trap on my abw pipes, but am thinking of fitting a Dri Flo system to the drones.
Do people keep the bottle trap as well or dispense with it? I consider myself a wet blower.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bannatyne Dri Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post

I currently use a simple bottle trap on my abw pipes, but am thinking of fitting a Dri Flo system to the drones.
Do people keep the bottle trap as well or dispense with it? I consider myself a wet blower.
For myself, I never considered that an open bottle of moisture hoarded in the bag could be a good thing.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
uther

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
For myself, I never considered that an open bottle of moisture hoarded in the bag could be a good thing.
Yes I've always found the bottle a bit gross, good if I can dispense with it once the Dri Flo is here and just open the bag after playing.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
A fair number of pipers (including myself) are using the Dri-Flo with a tube trap and a Trap-Dri in the tube. Directs airflow to the back of the bag and the Trap-Dri captures a surprising amount of moisture that can be poured off out of the tube.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Yes I've always found the bottle a bit gross, good if I can dispense with it once the Dri Flo is here and just open the bag after playing.
You didn't mention...but I'll assume you have a syn bag...probably one of the most popular hybrid models. I've used both and am quite pleased with the canmore. I find what works best for me is a $3 plain vinyl tube upended at the bag rear ...enhanced with a trap dri unit mid-way.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
John Buchanan
Forum Silver Medal

I use the Dri Flo system and I do have the hose running from the blowpipe to take air to the back of the bag. It seems to work better that way.

I used to use the tube and bottle and when my son's instructor recommended that he get the Dri Flo system, I was very impressed with how well it worked and how little it diminished the tone of the pipes so I bought a set for myself.

Yes, baking the gels is a pain but my drones are way more steady with the Dri Flo.

Cheers,

John
John Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
You didn't mention...but I'll assume you have a syn bag...probably one of the most popular hybrid models. I've used both and am quite pleased with the canmore. I find what works best for me is a $3 plain vinyl tube upended at the bag rear ...enhanced with a trap dri unit mid-way.
I actually stopped using my Dri-Flo system after switching to the Canmore Hybrid, as it breathes so well. Just a tube trap with a Trap-Dri in it.

Also note that Canmore won't honour their 2 year warranty if you use any silica-based moisture control system.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I have to chime in and agree with the others. I switched to a Canmore hybrid this year, from many past Bannatyne and Gannaway, and have been impressed. I have a Tap Dri but honestly so far a Moose valve has been all that I have needed to keep things dry.

The Canmore breathes that well for me and I believe we are in similar climates (rainy NW US vs UK) so it might well work for you.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
uther

Thanks, currently using a standard Bannatyne synthetic bag, will be looking at hybrids when it's time to change.
Does the Trap Dri need a bottle on the end or can it just be an open tube?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Thanks, currently using a standard Bannatyne synthetic bag, will be looking at hybrids when it's time to change.
Does the Trap Dri need a bottle on the end or can it just be an open tube?
It can be an open tube if you'd like it that way. You can purchase just the Trap Dri piece to put into your own tubing or you can purchase their bit of kit with the piece installed in tubing with connections for either a bottle trap at the end or unconnected for an open tube (what I've done when I used it).

The connecting bit included with their kit is nice because you can add another length of tubing, a bottle trap, a desiccant bottle, or just leave it open to blow into the back of the bag.