Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Vintage photo - 1944 Eindhoven ???

Can anyone tell me anything about this photo? The owner of it believes it is from 1944, Eindhoven, but doesn't know anything else. They are trying to piece together information on family history, and they think they have a relative in this group, but no idea of place, name or anything really other than the possible date and place. Any help appreciated.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: 1944 Eindhoven ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about this photo? The owner of it believes it is from 1944, Eindhoven, but doesn't know anything else. They are trying to piece together information on family history, and they think they have a relative in this group, but no idea of place, name or anything really other than the possible date and place. Any help appreciated.
Wow....theres one of those 30lb. Brass shell snares I lugged around in 1959 on a sling in my first pipe band. I weighed about 75lbs.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi Heatherbelle,

I did a google image search of "Eindhoven Stone Churches" and found this
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...QpX3vkVVE3Z0A#

Based on the distinctive doorway and round stained glass(?) features above the left and right doorways, it looks like the same place: Sint Joriskerk.

I hope this helps,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks very much Kevin, I'll pass this on.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Those also look vaguely like Black Watch cap badges although the tartan seems to have a white stripe that the Black Watch Tartan does not. There are a few tartan and uniform aficionados on here. Hopefully one of them can help.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Those also look vaguely like Black Watch cap badges although the tartan seems to have a white stripe that the Black Watch Tartan does not. There are a few tartan and uniform aficionados on here. Hopefully one of them can help.

Kevin
RHRBW Pipers wear the Royal Stuart tartan. The Drums wear BW tartan.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #7
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Vintage photo - 1944 Eindhoven ???

Cameron Highlanders perhaps? They would have been there at that date.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Sanger View Post

Cameron Highlanders perhaps? They would have been there at that date.

Keith
Wondered that also.....the cap badges not all appearing to all be the same makes it difficult to i.d. ...only the chap at the far right seems to have a BW cap badge....(my impression)..;might be an amalgamated group for a short stint?

Last edited by el gaitero; 05-07-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #9
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Difficult to tell regarding the cap badges - could mostly be the same with the angle making confirmation harder. Certainly several Black Watch badges in there though. I understand that former BW pipe major Alistair Duthie is currently undertaking research for a book on pipers who served in the regiment during the 20th century so may be worth contacting him.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #10
AndrewLam
Forum Member

I think it may be the 2nd Bn. Glasgow Highlanders.....a battalion which was part of the 15th (Scottish) Division.

The Royal Stewart tartan and the cap badges, the design of which was based on that of the Black Watch, make it a possibility. The style of flashes seen worn by the piper on the left is also commensurate with that.

Furthermore, the Glasgow Highlanders wore the badge on that headwear rather than a hackle as was commonly (but not always) worn by the Black Watch.

However, the 1st, 5th and 7th Battalions of the Black Watch were in the 51st Highland Division and also in that theatre.
AndrewLam is offline   Reply With Quote