Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
PiPeZiLLa
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to PiPeZiLLa
Default Questions for Breton Pipers

I have a couple questions for those with experience playing Breton music with other "sonneurs" or in a Bagad.

(1) If my GHB is tuning around 476, which key of Bombarde and Binioù kozh would best compliment that pipe?

(2) At what Hz, are most bagad's tuning at?

(3) How often do Breton pipers play their "biniou bras" (GHB) in C (Do)? Can someone recommend a video of pipers playing those sets?

Thanks
PiPeZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Conrad84
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Questions for Breton Pipers

Hello ZiLLa,

1) This extends beyond my experience. That said, you'd certainly want a Bflat one (Si bemol). Some makers make bombards in slightly different pitches, just like pipe chanters. Why contact Tudual Hervieux and ask?

2) Well beyond my experience.

3) How often? I guess as often as they like! I play mine maybe once for every time I play my (more) Scottish setup. Here's a short clip of a bagad: https://www.viddler.com/v/a070680e

this duet has strong playing and variety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIk4oPZW60
Conrad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Two fine vids!!

Many thanks!!

Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiPeZiLLa View Post
I have a couple questions for those with experience playing Breton music with other "sonneurs" or in a Bagad.

(1) If my GHB is tuning around 476, which key of Bombarde and Binioù kozh would best compliment that pipe?

(2) At what Hz, are most bagad's tuning at?

(3) How often do Breton pipers play their "biniou bras" (GHB) in C (Do)? Can someone recommend a video of pipers playing those sets?

Thanks
(1) To play with the standard GHB they'll use their standard bombardes & binioù kozh in B flat (or si bémol as they say). At 476 you'll be approaching their pitch ceiling but it's doable.

(2) In normal Breton weather, most bagadoù will be something like 471 - 475. Duets/couples bombarde/GHB will often be a bit flatter.

(3) While the number of Breton pipers who have their own C pipes (pib en do), the vast majority don't. Normally they are owned by the bagads and are used depending on the repertoire to be played. In recent years the number of top grade bagads playing in C has increased and are now the majority at any given competition.

Possibly an echo of tone creep in pipe bands, but piping judges often note bagads in C higher than more in tune bands in B flat (IMHO).

This decreases drastically as you go down the grades, partly because the smaller bands have smaller budgets.
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote