Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
WillyWog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Hardie or MacDougal

Hi all

I am going to be looking at a couple of older pipes.. A Hardie set. and a MacDougal set.. I don't know anything more than that.. Just been around for quite a while.

Neither one has the chanter that came with them. Plastic band chanters are on both spares for a busy band..

Is there markings on these brands somewhere other than the stock chanters which are not there. ??

Anyone tell me which would be the better way to go if they are both functioning well.. Or flip a coin..

Did all MacDougal have brass lined drones.?? Read something about that Not sure I like that. Wetness would be similar to plastic pipes.

Tnx
Willy

Last edited by WillyWog; 09-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Hardie or MacDougal

The McDougals will be considerably older than the Hardies.

In general, McDougal drones are highly desired and many modern makers are copying their specs in reproductions.

Hardie drones are still being made, but there was a period where some of their drones (from what I understand) weren't that great, but the majority of their pipes are good quality.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
Alain Marion
Forum Regular

If you have the opportunity to acquire a set of MacDougall pipes in good condition (preferably one made by Duncan, although his son Gavin also made excellent instruments), if you can afford such a quality instrument, and if you are serious about investing time and effort in piping - go for it without hesitation over any Hardie. You will likely never need another pipe unless you eventually need a traveling set (risky to cross borders with ivory mounted pipes) or one for use in foul weather or massed bands (where it could suffer damages).

The value of a well cared for MacDougall should also increase over time, as they are rather rare and sought after by collectors and many high-level players.

Some of these old pipes can be finicky when striking in with modern reeds, and the bass may also have a tendency to tune fairly low with modern chanters. Such problems can be solved (at least they were in my case…) by using a bottom joint with a slightly smaller bore diameter. A Dunbar bass bottom joint has given excellent results in my set.

Duncan MacDougall drones should give you a full, rich and complex sound. As far as reeds go, you may consider using Ezeedrones in the tenors (short or regular) and a carbon Crozier in the bass.

Jim McGillivray sells replicas of Duncan MacDougall pipes which are made by Dunbar. The Robertson reproduction pipes he offers are also fantastic, and quite affordable.
Alain Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 PM   #4
Søren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

Well Said, Alain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Marion View Post
If you have the opportunity to acquire a set of MacDougall pipes in good condition (preferably one made by Duncan, although his son Gavin also made excellent instruments), if you can afford such a quality instrument, and if you are serious about investing time and effort in piping - go for it without hesitation over any Hardie. You will likely never need another pipe unless you eventually need a traveling set (risky to cross borders with ivory mounted pipes) or one for use in foul weather or massed bands (where it could suffer damages).

The value of a well cared for MacDougall should also increase over time, as they are rather rare and sought after by collectors and many high-level players.

Some of these old pipes can be finicky when striking in with modern reeds, and the bass may also have a tendency to tune fairly low with modern chanters. Such problems can be solved (at least they were in my case…) by using a bottom joint with a slightly smaller bore diameter. A Dunbar bass bottom joint has given excellent results in my set.

Duncan MacDougall drones should give you a full, rich and complex sound. As far as reeds go, you may consider using Ezeedrones in the tenors (short or regular) and a carbon Crozier in the bass.

Jim McGillivray sells replicas of Duncan MacDougall pipes which are made by Dunbar. The Robertson reproduction pipes he offers are also fantastic, and quite affordable.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Marion View Post

Be careful, though. Many pipes are supposed to be "MacDougall's" which aren't. Post pictures and ask for comments from those who are familiar with authentic (= stamped) MacDougall pipes!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWog View Post
Did all MacDougal have brass lined drones.?? Read something about that Not sure I like that. Wetness would be similar to plastic pipes.
No. Some did and some didn't. It's not an exclusively MacDougall characteristic, either.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
WillyWog
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hi Fella's

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. . I changed my mind on both.. Bought a set of MacLeod Full set imitation with Pipers Choice case orig chanter and band chanter all set up and ready to play. Piper that owned them played a couple of tunes ,, they sounded find.. And quite light weight. Blackwood , Bannatyne zip bag.. All for $675 Canadian..

Not sure if paid too much or not but I am ok with them.

Other ones I had asked about all had cracks in wood and the imit ivory..

Thanks again
WillyWog
WillyWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Kenton Adler
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not Mac Dougals, but that sounds like a good price for a decent bagpipe. You can always buy something collectible later if you want.

For best results - PLAY LOUD
Kenton Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

just curious- MacLeod, or Gillanders and McLeod (different makers)