Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #11
wwx
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Going Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Professional studio musicians and orchestra players don't memorise anything because there's no reason to.
Is that so much the case with solo musicians though? I have a hard time imagining, say, Nathan Milstein playing the Bach Ciaccona in a recital or in the studio with the music. It seems to me that there is a convention in classical music as well that solo performers play from memory.

Not that this has anything at all to do with being "professional" or not though...
wwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

It is my non-professional opinion that a solo player or small group performing at a local tavern or concert venue for profit should be professional and memorize their set. I understand the difference between a performer who uses sheet music and plays in a orchestra verses someone playing in a pub. When the pros perform at the Pipers Gathering they never have sheet music in front of them. If they did would we hold them in such high esteem. Imagine Fleetwood Mac or Bob Dylan playing with a music stand in front of them. We expect better!
My two cents
Old 06-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Apples and oranges, really. The concert soloist may work for months perfecting that one sonata or concerto while the orchestra members or studio musicians will have to play hundreds of different pieces over that same period. I have played many concerts, as a tubist, with only one rehearsal, sometimes none at all, depending on the complexity of the music.

On the other hand, it is common in some genres to work without any written music and play tunes common to the genre knowing only the key (or keys) in which the tune would be played. ( Trad Jazz and Bluegrass, for example).

One could argue that Fleetwood Mac and Dylan perform music they've written themselves and have been playing for years /decades, and tend to keep to a fairly limited repertoire, so, of course they wouldn't be reading it.

For my part, I'd rather not deal with having to lug a music stand and sheet music on a piping job, preferring to put the time in the days or weeks leading up to the gig "internalizing" the requested tunes, which may include transposing and arranging from sheet music intended for other instruments.

I have composed over 200 bagpipe tunes of various types, but as I don't play them all regularly, I'd probably have to pull out the sheet music for some of them if I had to play them in public.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwx View Post

Not that this has anything at all to do with being "professional" or not though...
Yes, and that was my point.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSchlie View Post
Bob Dylan playing with a music stand
Bob doesn't use music, but he does occasionally keep lyrics sheets on the otherwise-unused lap-steel he has set up behind his keyboard.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #16
Alex Anderson
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
(Our group had to stop playing at a local mom and pop ice cream stand because we accepted ice cream cones as payment)
I read all the excellent replies, but I keep coming back to this simple statement. I am wondering who made you stop playing because you accepted ice cream cones. The copyright police? The management? Somebody's mom? Did your newly acquired professional status preclude you from amateur competition?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:33 AM   #17
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

The ice cream stand that we played/rehearsed at had a competive ice cream operation near by and they reported it to some organization that manages licensing fees. They considered an ice cream cone as payment I'm not privy to the details, but we were told that we would not be playing again to avoid legal issues for the stand we played at. (This took place several years ago)
To quote the President: "Sad"
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #18
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
The ice cream stand that we played/rehearsed at had a competive ice cream operation near by and they reported it to some organization that manages licensing fees. They considered an ice cream cone as payment I'm not privy to the details, but we were told that we would not be playing again to avoid legal issues for the stand we played at. (This took place several years ago)

To quote the President: "Sad"

I wonder what kind of tax withholding you'd have to make, would a cup do, or would it have to be a cone also?

Sounds like the competitor was just dishing you guys a load of "soft-serve"

Charlie
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #19
Alex Anderson
Forum Gold Medal

Maybe you could just go play at that other ice cream shop to see if they too would give you ice cream cones. That or pay you to stop.