Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #81
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: 3/4 issue revisited

Did he start out on the wrong foot ?... itís still LR LR LR LR...no matter how itís sliced.
I think a key is..donít overthink it....until playing on Glasgow Green in August
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #82
Georgian Piper
Forum Member

Nope, started on the left foot and then shuffled around to find the pulse.
Georgian Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #83
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgian Piper View Post

Nope, started on the left foot and then shuffled around to find the pulse.
..my thot is that would come for any time signature Match after learning how to march consistently....and more about music no? Just sayin. Meanwhile LR LR LR LR....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:07 AM   #84
Robin73
Forum Member

6/4 won't solve the problem. What's happening here is that someone is listening the the innate rhythmic structure of the music and responding to it. There is a clash of authority between what is clearly and obviously musically correct to anyone with even basic music training outside of piping - and the social authority of a lineage of pipers who can't imagine that such a mistake could happen.

The solution is simple - the drummers need to start one beat later - to keep with the L/R L/R stepping there can be a tap on the first left and then everything swaps sides.

Another solution is for the pipers to come in one beat earlier (hold the E for one beat instead of 2) - then the drummers wouldn't have to change anything.

Who has the authority though?

Who should change?

It will take humility and courage to sort this one out. Or bands could just carry on being musically incompetent when it come to this matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYiz_UTEXJs
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 AM   #85
Robin73
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin73 View Post
The solution is simple - the drummers need to start one beat later - to keep with the L/R L/R stepping there can be a tap on the first left and then everything swaps sides.
Just to clarify, I mean the beats in the score which were on the left foot would now be on the right foot and vice versa (which makes little difference since 3/4 means the 1st beat in a bar alternates L/R anyway). I'm not suggesting any thing to do with L/R for the sticks needs changing (I think that was obvious, but just making sure).
Robin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #86
Achilles Piper
Forum Regular

One would think that there is not much to say on this topic that hasn't already been said, but something happened at band practice recently which could add another facet to the discussion. Not long ago the band added Lord Lovat's Lament to our repertoire.This a a 4/4 tune with a one-beat anacrusis; in fact the first three beats sound very similar to Green Hills, and the band was starting Lord Lovat in exactly the same way - two beats of drones only, two beats of E, then the anacrusis. Of course this put the entire tune on the wrong foot, and more particularly left the mid section emphasising the wrong beat. I could not help quietly mentioning this to the PM, who, to his great credit listened, hummed the tune aloud and agreed! He issued instructions immediately for the pipers to play a short (1-beat) E into the start of the tune, and that is how we have played it ever since. I have not yet tackled doing the same with 3/4 tunes!
Achilles Piper is offline   Reply With Quote