Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Freeman
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Where the Beat Falls on High G Doubling

Hello,

'Where the beat falls' has been discussed extensively on here. I've read through several threads and didn't walk away with an understanding of the beat on high g doubings.

As an example: a strathspey movement with Beat 1 (dotted F doubling, cut D), Beat 2 (dotted high G doubling, cut D).

Does the high G doubling beat land when the finger quickly snaps onto the chanter to make the f note?

Thanks,
Tom.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Steven Knox
Forum Member

Default Re: Where the Beat Falls on High G Doubling

The beat is at the start of the first high g.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I believe my foot lands on the F gracenote/strike.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
Jim McGillivray

I've always contended that high A and high G doublings are more properly "throws" than standard doublings like F, E, D, C and B. They are much more like a D throw and I would put the beat at the end in the high A 'doubling' at the end of the first gracenote. In other words, the foot hits the floor when the high A finger hits the chanter.

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McGillivray

I've always contended that high A and high G doublings are more properly "throws" than standard doublings like F, E, D, C and B.

They are much more like a D throw and I would put the beat at the end in the high A 'doubling' at the end of the first gracenote.

In other words, the foot hits the floor when the high A finger hits the chanter.

JM

As always... Thank You... Jim.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

A simple rule which can be applied widely is that the beat falls with the gracenote finger. A gracenote *ends* on the beat, when the finger lands. This fixes gracenotes and doublings straight away, and the high G doubling if you treat it as a G gracenote to F.

For a throw on D, it falls on the (end of the) D gracenote. For a taorluath, the end of the E gracenote.

For a strike movement, the beat falls on the beginning of the strike, so if you do your high G doubling with a G followed by a strike to F, this follows (notice how whichever method you choose, the beat falls on the same point between the gracenotes).

A useful exercise is to play a series of G gracenotes and tap your foot and feel the finger hitting the chanter together with your foot hitting the floor. This can be extended to more or less anything.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

In line with what Jim and CalumII are saying (I think) if your high G doubling starts with a high A grace note, the beat falls at the end of the high a gracenote/beginning of the high G gracenote.

Whereas if you’re playing the “half doubling” (as I assumed in my earlier post) the beat falls at the end of the high G gracenote/beginning of the F gracenote.

Either way the beat is in the same spot: at the end of the first gracenote/beginning of the second gracenote. The same is true for any doubling.

For a light throw, the beat would be at the beginning of the C gracenote, so that would differ from the doubling placement because it’s the 3rd gracenote in the series, not the second. I’m pretty sure the beat falls on the C in my heavy throw as well, pusing it to the 4th gracenote. Toarluaths would go all the way out to the “big” note, falling at the end of the E gracenote. I’ll stop there.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
Peter.Bailey.Bagpiper
Forum Member

It's worth noting that, to piggy-back on what Jim said, that some tunes have "proper" high G doublings, as is the case in last part of The Little Cascade (at least according to the setting I use) which to me furthers the credence that "normal" high G doublings are really throws.