Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
LCpiper
Forum Regular

Default Bagpipe Identification

I am looking for help in identifying a set of pipes I just picked up. They do have a few fairly unique features, so maybe someone will recognize these as a particular maker?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/kiyRr7u
[Moderator edit: Replaced original bad link with new working link from post below.]

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 02-21-2019 at 04:25 PM.
LCpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #2
TangoCharlie
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Bagpipe Identification

Can't get the link to work. Can you check it?
TangoCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
LCpiper
Forum Regular

Sorry, no idea why that link isnít working. I have posted the photos on a different host.

Thanks!
LCpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
TangoCharlie
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Look like Hendersons, tenor shoulder is not square like Hardies. See Ringo Bowens site: http://www.thebagpipemuseum.com/Cata...Celluloid.html
TangoCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCpiper View Post
I am looking for help in identifying a set of pipes I just picked up. They do have a few fairly unique features, so maybe someone will recognize these as a particular maker?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

[Moderator edit: Replaced original bad link with new working link from post below.]
What features would be unique?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Here are the features I am seeing that make this difficult to place:

Mount shape-vaguely Robertson, however, they don't have the height of most of the Robertson mounts I have seen let along the space between the primary projecting part and the small bead above that.

Drone top shoulders- the drone tops look normally proportioned except for the thickness of the section above the shoulders. It has almost a Grainger and Campbell vibe to it, but if it were G+C, I would expect thin looking tuning pins and thicker chamber sections of the drone tops.

The cord beads are relatively nonmentionable, somewhat square and somewhat round without any hallmarking features.

The last picture makes the bell of the drone top look skinny but I think that is just a proportional thing with the thick profile above the shoulders.

I agree that the bass bottom looks like a replacement part that used the original mounts. I would guess that it was done fairly soon after the pipes were made since the mounts match well with the rest of the set color wise (often getting old mounts off of a scrap piece will involve some light turning or heat to get the glue to loosen up).

The stocks look pretty unremarkable, except maybe the squareness below the tie in groove and the length of in-bag stock that is below the tie in groove.

I gotta say, I am stumped on this one.
Jack
Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Toxpert
Forum Regular

The profiles of the projecting mounts look like Kintails.
Any pics of the tops of the drones? Kintail bushes are quite raised above the cap rings.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote