Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Moose vs Naill Tube - Observations

I got a Moose Valve a few months ago and pulled the Naill Tube Trap and Li'l Mac I've had for several years. Here's what I've noticed:
Moose Valve is a lot free-er blowing and will definitely be my choice once Winter is finally over. The only disadvantage I've experienced is that moisture collects very quickly in the blow pipe stock and emptying regularly and discreetly it is not always an option in some of the gigs I play. It seems my reeds also tend to get wetter in the cold than they do with the Naill and Li'l Mac setup.
I have a funeral to play Saturday, when it is predicted to be in the teens and 20s (˚F), so the Naill went back in this afternoon along with the Li'l Mac.
The disadvantage with that set up is that the blowing seems a bit more restricted- so that reeds I've been playing for a few weeks are acting unfamiliar, for want of a better description. Once Spring is well and truly here, I'll pull teh tube and Li'l Mac and put the moose back in.

Anyone have similar experience, or is it just me?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Moose vs Naill Tube- Observations

Well, OK, then. . Tomorrow, I will be playing for a funeral. It should be about 15˚F with windchill down around zero. I'll see if the Naill tube is actually better for playing in the cold that the Moose Valve has been, I guess.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

It was indeed quite chilly this morning playing outside the church at 14˚and winds gusting up to 30mph. In addition to the precautions I usually take for playing in conditions like that, I had the Naill tube in and stuck a "Body Warmer" on bag cover, on the body side, just aft of the drones. The chanter reed and drone reeds kept playing through the 1/2 hour before the service and about 20 minutes after the service as people were leaving. My finger tips and knees were stinging by the the time I finished each of the two sets, but there was no problem at all with the reeds, unlike the last time I played outdoors on a drizzly evening in the High 30s, low 40s using the Moose Valve. I like the Moose, but I believe It will be my 3-season solution-Spring, Summer, Early Fall, calling on the Naill tube and Li'l Mac for the rare winter gig. I'm not interested in more intricate moisture control involving zippered bags, so that's my plan.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

I agree with your assessment of the Moose. Being a wet blower I also have a Sham wow bottle attached as well. And being an ageing wimp I won't play outside in anything less than 10 degrees C (50 F).
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
I agree with your assessment of the Moose. Being a wet blower I also have a Sham wow bottle attached as well. And being an ageing wimp I won't play outside in anything less than 10 degrees C (50 F).
Do you get to play indoors a lot over the Winter?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
SquintingPatrick
Forum Clasp

I have used both. They have worked equally well for me. I prefer the Moose Valve, however. I have a sheepskin bag, and I am not a wet blower. I don't have to empty out the moisture that often. As far as the blowing goes, there's no difference for me, and the reeds don't seem to behave differently. The tube tends to be covered in seasoning. Every time it has to be taken out, I end up spending a lot of time trying to scrub it clean, only to immediately put it back and have it all smudged up again. The Moose Valve doesn't make as much of itself.
SquintingPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #7
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Well, KW, there are only a couple of band and one or two solo gigs indoors over the winter. But there's lots of practice. And there are about 25 band jobs this year between late May and late September, most in July & August, so it's a bit like baseball with winters off (but without the golf).
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
DapperDan
Forum Member

Hello all -

Wanted to revive this thread to ask a question instead of starting a new one, as it seems to covering similar experiences --

Is there a convenient, reliable way to have a moose valve AND a tube trap - in a skin bag with no zipper? I have such a bag now, and have a split stock (made by Dunbar) with just a vinyl tube to the back of the bag. That does enough moisture control for me.

I've struggled however, to get the valve on my airstream blowstick to stop leaking, even though I've carefully replaced it with a new one, and followed all the tips I could find on here. It's a topic in other threads, but suffice to say I've about had it trying with this thing. A moose valve on the other hand, I find to be very free-flowing and airtight (tried it on other pipes). The problems with the moose valve for me are that it isn't a water trap at all in my experience - water gets directly on the chanter reed in a matter of minutes; and that it can't be installed in the split stock that I have - there isn't enough room for it and the blowstick. Is there different blowpipe stock that would accomodate both? Again, I won't have access to the inside of the bag via a zipper or anything so it all has to installed from the outside and preferably be secure and as simple as possible. I'll be tying on a new bag soon, and am researching my options. I'll be able to have whatever blowpipe stock I choose tied in wherever I need it to be to be straight.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Hello all -

Wanted to revive this thread to ask a question instead of starting a new one, as it seems to covering similar experiences --

Is there a convenient, reliable way to have a moose valve AND a tube trap - in a skin bag with no zipper? I have such a bag now, and have a split stock (made by Dunbar) with just a vinyl tube to the back of the bag. That does enough moisture control for me.

I've struggled however, to get the valve on my airstream blowstick to stop leaking, even though I've carefully replaced it with a new one, and followed all the tips I could find on here. It's a topic in other threads, but suffice to say I've about had it trying with this thing. A moose valve on the other hand, I find to be very free-flowing and airtight (tried it on other pipes). The problems with the moose valve for me are that it isn't a water trap at all in my experience - water gets directly on the chanter reed in a matter of minutes; and that it can't be installed in the split stock that I have - there isn't enough room for it and the blowstick. Is there different blowpipe stock that would accomodate both? Again, I won't have access to the inside of the bag via a zipper or anything so it all has to installed from the outside and preferably be secure and as simple as possible. I'll be tying on a new bag soon, and am researching my options. I'll be able to have whatever blowpipe stock I choose tied in wherever I need it to be to be straight.
Call me nuts ... especially cuz, well, I kind of am ... but when I bought a moose valve, I intended to do just that (i.e., use both the tube trap w/ split stock, and a moose value). Also, please note, there's already a valve built into my blowpipe, so I don't "need" the moose valve to be airtight.

Trouble was, initially, that the design of my split-stock prevents insertion of the moose value. So instead and for the hell of it, I inserted the moose value into the tube trap.

Shockingly, I think it works quite well. The moose valve does, indeed, act as an additional water trap, as does a Trap-dri valve that's also in there ... they each retain some spit ... the tube end collects what remains, and my reeds (sheepskin bag) are kept relatively dry. Bit of moisture is on them when I'm done, but I usually play for a good two hours each playing session, and after all that time, the reeds are showing no signs of issues due to moisture.

Note, I am able to separate my tube trap in the middle, so as to be able to dump out collected moisture from each section without trouble. But since the moose valve is further down in the tube, pulling out the blowpipe and dumping out from the stock doesn't do much. I would need to pull the tube out from the split stock, and empty it completely, but so far I rarely find the need ... waiting 'til I'm done is fine for me.

Anyway, didn't intend to use the moose and tube in this fashion, but it's worked pretty well thus far, by accident.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #10
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Seems that you are playing far too long on those funeral gigs, especially in those conditions..a tune as the casket goes in and out and a couple of tunes at the cemetery is sufficient..no need to do a concert.