Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.


Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Glyn_Mo
Forum Clasp
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 964
Default Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Wondering if any Scottish military experts here know much about the Inverness-shire Militia?

The long story short, is that I've had a Plaid Brooch since I was a kid, which my mother had found in a jumble sale. I never knew what exactly it was until recently when I found out it was a Piper's Plaid Brooch of the Inverness-shire Militia. I did a bit of Googling, but couldn't find much evidence of them having a pipe band. I think the Militia was in existence pre-Cameron Highlanders, and then became one of the battalions of the Camerons.

Does anybody know anything about them having a pipe band?

(The long story is here: https://www.scottishbagpipers.com/bl...ble-sale-gems/)

Cheers
Glyn
__________________
Glyn Morris
www.scottishbagpipers.com
Glyn_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Staggie
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Glyn,

Have a look here. A couple of the search results might be of interest to you. An interesting site to browse at any time...

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/search/...tia&mime_type=
Staggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
Glyn_Mo
Forum Clasp
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 964
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggie View Post
Glyn,

Have a look here. A couple of the search results might be of interest to you. An interesting site to browse at any time...

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/search/...tia&mime_type=
Cheers Staggie, don't know how I never came across ambaile when I was searching before! I've looked at it a few times before for other things. Yes, a great site
__________________
Glyn Morris
www.scottishbagpipers.com
Glyn_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
AndrewLam
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kowloon
Posts: 33
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn_Mo View Post
Wondering if any Scottish military experts here know much about the Inverness-shire Militia?

The long story short, is that I've had a Plaid Brooch since I was a kid, which my mother had found in a jumble sale. I never knew what exactly it was until recently when I found out it was a Piper's Plaid Brooch of the Inverness-shire Militia. I did a bit of Googling, but couldn't find much evidence of them having a pipe band. I think the Militia was in existence pre-Cameron Highlanders, and then became one of the battalions of the Camerons.

Does anybody know anything about them having a pipe band?

(The long story is here: https://www.scottishbagpipers.com/bl...ble-sale-gems/)

Cheers
Glyn

I think you'll find that until 1855 it was part of the Inverness, Banff, Elgin and Nairn Militia, then became the 76th Highland Light Infantry Militia and then after 1881, the 2nd Militia Battalion of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

One of it's better known pipers was Paul McKillop who was Pipe-Major in the late 1800s.
AndrewLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
aboode
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Posts: 362
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

I have the following information about Pipe Majors of the Inverness-shire Militia:

MacPherson, Norman 1809?
MacKay, William 1810 – 1820 (Died 1841)
Smith, William 1825? (Born 1795)

Formed 1802 as Inverness, Banff, Elgin & Nairn Militia
From 1804: 10th Inverness, Banff, Elgin & Nairn Militia
From 1833: 76th Inverness, Banff, Elgin & Nairn Militia
From 1855: 76th (Highland Light Infantry) Militia

Hope this helps a little.
Aad
aboode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
aboode
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Posts: 362
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLam View Post
I think you'll find that until 1855 it was part of the Inverness, Banff, Elgin and Nairn Militia, then became the 76th Highland Light Infantry Militia and then after 1881, the 2nd Militia Battalion of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

One of it's better known pipers was Paul McKillop who was Pipe-Major in the late 1800s.
Paul McKillop (born 1815, died 1890) was P/M of the 76th (Highland Light Infantry) Militia around 1867; in 1881 this unit became the 2nd (Militia) Battalion of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.
Aad
aboode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: La Crosse WI USA
Posts: 601
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
Paul McKillop (born 1815, died 1890) was P/M of the 76th (Highland Light Infantry) Militia around 1867; in 1881 this unit became the 2nd (Militia) Battalion of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.
Aad
Paul McKillopp >> Angus Paul McKillop.......
> Andrew MacKillop, PM?

Anyone know?

I'm 'still' trying to identify the composer of the
tune "Advancing on Werwicq" by A. McKillop.

Angus Paul seems the most likely, so far, and
another McKillop (relationship, if any, unknown,
but apparently not a piper) received an M.C. in
that campaign.

So as not to hijack this post, a reply by
email or PM / Conversation would be best.
__________________
LloydB
*****
LloydB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: La Crosse WI USA
Posts: 601
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

And here's a bit about that 'other' McKillop:

9754 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 30 JULY, 1919
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/iss.../9754/page.pdf

Military Cross Commendation:

Lt. John Francis McKillop, 2/24th Bn., attd.
/23rd Bn., Lond. R.

During the operations at Wervicq on October
14th, 1918, he led his company with splendid
courage and dash. In spite of considerable
machine-gun fire he gained the final objective
with very few casualties. During his advance
he rushed several machine-gun posts and
captured 150 prisoners and several machine
[page break to 9755]
guns. Though, wounded he refused to leave,
his company until he had seen his posts in the
final objective properly established.

(Sounds a bit like the Sergeant York story.)
__________________
LloydB
*****
LloydB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 AM   #9
AndrewLam
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kowloon
Posts: 33
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydB View Post
And here's a bit about that 'other' McKillop:

9754 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 30 JULY, 1919
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/iss.../9754/page.pdf

Military Cross Commendation:

Lt. John Francis McKillop, 2/24th Bn., attd.
/23rd Bn., Lond. R.

During the operations at Wervicq on October
14th, 1918, he led his company with splendid
courage and dash. In spite of considerable
machine-gun fire he gained the final objective
with very few casualties. During his advance
he rushed several machine-gun posts and
captured 150 prisoners and several machine
[page break to 9755]
guns. Though, wounded he refused to leave,
his company until he had seen his posts in the
final objective properly established.

(Sounds a bit like the Sergeant York story.)

Did you really have to hijack the thread? Why not just open a new thread?
But just to get rid of you......P/M Paul McKillop (Inverness-shire Militia) was possibly the father of P/M Angus Paul McKillop (1st Bn. QOCH). The former apparently drowned in the Caledonian Canal in 1890. The latter lived on until 1942. Different men.
There was also Piper Norman McKillop in the 7th Camerons however, the action itself only had involvement from one Scottish unit....The London Scottish.

Going back to what the thread originally pertained to.....yes, they had a pipe corps and possibly a pipes & drums. Also some very good pipers, one being Alexander MacLennan who was Pipe-Major for almost three decades when it was called the 76th HLI Militia. Goldmedallist (1860) and winner of the 'prize pipe' (1857) at the Northern Meeting. Member of the famous MacLennan piping family.

There is also mention as far back as 1811 and 1825 of one of their pipers (William Smith) winning piping prizes at that time.
AndrewLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 304
Default Re: Inverness-shire Militia Pipe Band?

Things are sounding tetchy so to get back to the Inverness-shire Militia but taking in these later posts and a bit of a mystery albeit with a solution.

Firstly though a short note on 'militias' which went through several legal incarnations., especially through the Napoleonic Wars. The first Militia Act was in 1797 and it was not greeted with great joy. Rioting was widespread. It provided for the raising of men by ballot with a fixed term of service of five years and included arrangements for providing substitutes or a penalty of 10 later raised to 20.


In other words if your name came up but you had the wealth you paid someone to go in your place. You could even insure against being called. One quoted example from the Stirling shire militia of 1808 shows that only 5 of the 220 men were the original principles called by the ballet. One of the changes made in 1802 when the remaining Fencible Regiments were stood down was to create two levels of 'militia', with a newly formed and less demanding Local Militia.

So to the thread and to start with a Crown Office Precognition which in Scots Law was a preliminary examination of witnesses to see if charges should be brought. In this case in 1881 reference number AD14/81/102 it concerned six young men aged between 17 to 20 years of age all from Inverness and involved a case of assault. One of the men was an Angus McKillop aged 17 years piper of the Inverness shire Militia. The cases went ahead in the High Court in Edinburgh (JC26/1881/284), and he received 12 months apparently having previous convictions.

Now we move to where it starts to get confusing as working backwards from his age he seems likely to be the son born in Inverness on the 25 February 1863 to Paul McKillop Piper to the Inverness Shire Militia. The name of the mother confirms this is the same Paul McKillop who died in 1890, where his death record describes him as a pensioner of the 74th Regiment.

Where the mystery comes in is that his son in the birth record is named Paul and not Angus. This may perhaps be explained as a mix up especially if the parents were Gaelic speaking and the registrar was not and would explain the poor boy having his family given name of Angus but an official name from his birth record of Paul.

Staying with the Inverness Shire Militia according to a muster roll for 1807 there was a piper called John McGregor, described as 'Volunteer'. It was apart from the ballot possible to actually volunteer and one possible attraction of that was that it removed you from pressure to enlist with the regular line regiments.

Keith

Last edited by K Sanger; 01-08-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Clumsy typing
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Silver Sponsor

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 AM.