Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
Clyde Jenkins
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Clamptite instead of hose clamps?

Has anyone tried a Clamptite tool and wire instead of hose clamps for their pipe bag that has grommets for the drones and blow stick stocks? Here is the Clamptite tool in action: https://youtu.be/of9p70H7gdg

I have got hose clamps on my bag. I had to position the clamp on the outside tenor to keep the head of the screw from leaning on my left arm. I have taped all of them with silicone self amalgamating tape to keep the sharp parts of the clamps from chewing up my bag cover and to protect me when I play without a bag cover. The tape is sold as Rig Wrap, Rescue Tape, and rigging tape.

Clamptite claims more even pressure around the circumference of the hose. It certainly would be a cleaner, lighter tie in than hose clamps. The tool is too expensive for tying in one bag, but would be useful for boat, motorcycle, car, and garage.

Last edited by Clyde Jenkins; 02-07-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Clyde Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: Clamptite instead of hose clamps?

It looks pretty nifty. My concerns would be overtightening and maybe cracking the wood, and undoing them without damaging the bag if placement needs to be adjusted. But it would certainly hold well.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:47 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

What kind of bag is it that needs hose clamps on all the drone and blowstick stocks? Iíve never had any grimmeted bag the need more than one clamp at the chanter stock...or tied in.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
What kind of bag is it that needs hose clamps on all the drone and blowstick stocks? Iíve never had any grimmeted bag the need more than one clamp at the chanter stock...or tied in.
A leaky bag.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post

A leaky bag.
Haha. Even with the new clamptiteís? Even they wonít stop a bag leak.

I realized it might be a leather bag with rubber collars.... having not as good seal as do the syn bags with the silicon clllars.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
DNorwood
Forum Member

Bicycle Tire (appropriate size) inner-tube, cut in 2 or 3 inch segments, works very well over the clamps. Really, small strips of inner-tube work well under those clamps too. Protects the wood and the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Jenkins View Post
I had to position the clamp on the outside tenor to keep the head of the screw from leaning on my left arm. I have taped all of them with silicone self amalgamating tape to keep the sharp parts of the clamps from chewing up my bag cover and to protect me when I play without a bag cover..
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
Clyde Jenkins

Default Re: Clamptite instead of hose clamps

My bag is a Lee and Sons premium sheepskin bag. https://leeandsonsbagpipes.com/produ...n-premium-bag/

I use a Highland Reeds drone moisture control system. http://www.hendersongroupltd.com/car...idcategory=134
I like the setup very much.
Clyde Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
Bicycle Tire (appropriate size) inner-tube, cut in 2 or 3 inch segments, works very well over the clamps. Really, small strips of inner-tube work well under those clamps too. Protects the wood and the bag.
Yes! ..this works great....I usually put two on over the offending hex head.

A little more effort ...I also take a few minutes with a small file to smooth off the hex head sharp edges....saves tearing the inner tube rubber bands.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
Loud-one

Band it makes a great clamp. https://www.band-it-idex.com/en/reso...it-tool-c00169

There are also Oetiker clamps, but those are way overkill and a bit difficult to get just the right size.

Either allows a flat tie in although it would be easy to get them way too tight.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud-one View Post
Band it makes a great clamp. https://www.band-it-idex.com/en/reso...it-tool-c00169

There are also Oetiker clamps, but those are way overkill and a bit difficult to get just the right size.

Either allows a flat tie in although it would be easy to get them way too tight.
Will it fit in my sporran ?