Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
Hurmmark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Selbies bass drone reed

Pipes are Hendersonís reeds are selbies. I am losing air out the bass drone. Iíve have adjusted the tongue to my desired threshold and when I blow the pipes up to shut the reeds off my bass drone can only hold for 10 seconds. Is there anything else I can do to make my bass drone hold longer.... Iím using too much energy keeping bag full?
Hurmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Selbies bass drone reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurmmark View Post
Pipes are Hendersonís reeds are selbies. I am losing air out the bass drone. Iíve have adjusted the tongue to my desired threshold and when I blow the pipes up to shut the reeds off my bass drone can only hold for 10 seconds. Is there anything else I can do to make my bass drone hold longer.... Iím using too much energy keeping bag full?

Check to make sure reeds are secure and seated properly- add hemp and tie into drone if needed/desired

Is the drone screw loose? Add Teflon tape to screw and replace.

Are your connections tight? Slides as well...

Check bag for leaks visually
-hide/skin or synthetic?
-bag age?
-if hide; how often do you play?
- are you using hose clamps?

Cork off drone and chanter stocks, fill bag with air and listen for leakage

Finally, repeat the last step but submerge bag into bathtub, look for bubbles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #3
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wouldnít recommend submerging the bag in water to find leaks. Instead, pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water in the bag (with the stocks corked off) and blow it up tight. Any leak will be visible by the water coming out, though you might need to roll the bag around to get water towards the leak(s).
Old 02-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Check the reed body....confirm no side split or torque crack no easily visible....u dear the tenon hemp.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Good suggestions above. What pitch are you trying to tune to? Are the reeds new or have they been used? ( Selbie Tongues are replaceable and my show fatigue after years of playing).
Old 02-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Good suggestions above. What pitch are you trying to tune to? Are the reeds new or have they been used? ( Selbie Tongues are replaceable and my show fatigue after years of playing).
Yes....examine the tongue at the H cutout. Inexplicably I had a set where both tenor tongues broke cleanly across right at the top side of the H . The break was clean.nearly invisible until I really looked....The tongue was in two pieces.
Selbie...great reeds though...nary s thot or problem after setting up multiple dozens of news sets in new McC pipes for bands & students.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Hurmmark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Prior to posting I checked bags integrity air tight, reeds firmly set. The screw for air chamber tight, reeds 3-4 years old. I will check for cracks on tongue. When I blow air into the reed when not in pipes the reed cuts out but I feel air Escapng at the opening. Appreciate all your help first time foruming🤪. If still not holding air do I get new reed.... unfixable at this point
Hurmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Prior to posting I checked bags integrity air tight, reeds firmly set. The screw for air chamber tight, reeds 3-4 years old. I will check for cracks on tongue. When I blow air into the reed when not in pipes the reed cuts out but I feel air Escapng at the opening. Appreciate all your help first time foruming🤪. If still not holding air do I get new reed.... unfixable at this point

I'd replace a tongue rather than the whole reed. Selbie replacement tongues are not that expensive and readily available.