Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Freeman
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bass Drone Tuning - Feeling the Vibrations

Yesterday I wasn't having much luck tuning my bass drone during a windy practice session. I had it close, but no cigar.

Suddenly the plastic tip of my etymotic er20 earplugs touched the drone - and the sound was conducted straight into my skull. It wasn't so much hearing, as feeling the wavering vibrations, and I had the tuning locked-in in a matter of seconds.

Just thought I'd share for any other plastic-tip ear-plug wearers. It's a little hack I'll use in the future.

I might even try it with learners in the band - there is so much going on sound wise with the pipes, that focusing their ears on tuning can be a little overwhelming.

Cheers.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bass Drone Tuning - Feeling the Vibrations

That's awesome, thanks for sharing- I'm definitely going to give it a try!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

The rule is to turn your back on the wind, or better still seek some shelter. Maybe we could try a bone anchored hearing device and just plug your bass drone straight into your skull :-) Probably get better accuracy?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Loud-one
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

You could take a 3 inch drywall screw and drill it into your skull and then just lay the bass drone on it while tuning. The upside is you would have something to tether your glengarry to in case of wind. The downside? Not sure. The downside? Not sure. The downside? Not sure.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ah, the real reason for the hose clip on Gordon Duncan's Glens.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Yesterday I wasn't having much luck tuning my bass drone during a windy practice session. I had it close, but no cigar.

Suddenly the plastic tip of my etymotic er20 earplugs touched the drone - and the sound was conducted straight into my skull. It wasn't so much hearing, as feeling the wavering vibrations, and I had the tuning locked-in in a matter of seconds.

Just thought I'd share for any other plastic-tip ear-plug wearers. It's a little hack I'll use in the future.

I might even try it with learners in the band - there is so much going on sound wise with the pipes, that focusing their ears on tuning can be a little overwhelming.

Cheers.
Actually ages ago when I was a young tubist, I used to place my little finger on the bell or lead pipe and my thumb in my ear so that I could fine tune against the cacophony of all the other instruments warming up.- same idea- bone conduction.