Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Chanter bias?

I had really bad experiences playing with one make of chanter in a band. They were just terrible. But other people like them a lot. It probably has something to do with a combination of the reeds, the climate, and the skill set of the people setting them up. Skilled people and good reeds, btw, but taken together it just didn't work well. All this has now created a negative bias against that brand of chanter. If you walked up to me and offered me one for free I'd probably turn it down.

Probably situations like that come up with other people and they end up with biases too.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #12
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticHiker View Post
Sounds like the instructor had a personal investment in selling the xyz chanter to me, and I would fully agree with everyone above that if your happy with your current abc chanter just stick with it. ... I've found that spending my money on lessons from a highly qualified instructor and spending my time on practice has helped my piping more than any new thing I've purchased or the time spent researching it.
Right on. Indeed part of my reluctance to fiddle-about with more and more gear is mostly nothing more than a deep-rooted desire to spend far more time working on my playing. I can always buy another chanter someday, or whatever. But all those hours I didn't practice yesterday, I can't buy those back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
I had really bad experiences playing with one make of chanter in a band. They were just terrible ... Probably situations like that come up with other people and they end up with biases too.
Interesting perspective, and well-reasoned at that. Thanks for weighing in.

Cheers!
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Nate, keep on doing what you're doing. (and kudos for not telling Mr. XYZ that his chanter might be better suited as a suppository).
Could have told him to shove it up his A hole, low or high. Iíve used that line twice today now. Go me. Assuming it was a he.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Could have told him to shove it up his A hole, low or high. Iíve used that line twice today now. Go me. Assuming it was a he.
Ha .... I had a followup comment, but it's likely to be flagged as inappropriate.

I'll simply say "Bully!" instead.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 02-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #15
gisahag
Forum Regular

Thoughts?
You don't say what the background of the workshop leader is. Is this someone who has actually earned the right to pass comments like that? What have they done / won. Might they just be a self appointed 'expert' who can't distinguish between opinion and fact, and doesn't recognise the limits of their own competence?

Experiences?
The Dunning-Kruger effect is rife in the piping community (for all I know I might be affected too), and just because someone has played at a good level doesn't mean they aren't a knob. I've learned over the years that if someone can't justify an opinion like that based on technical detail, then everything else they say about piping has to be called into question.
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #16
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

I would like to hear who was the guy and the chanter in question.🤣
Old 02-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #17
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisahag View Post
... You don't say what the background of the workshop leader is. Is this someone who has actually earned the right to pass comments like that? What have they done / won
... The Dunning-Kruger effect is rife in the piping community ... if someone can't justify an opinion like that based on technical detail, then everything else they say about piping has to be called into question.

Yes, well, Ive been vague on purpose as I, for one, donít wish to discredit anyone merely for me to pose a query. The fellow(s) is certainly accomplished in his/her own right. Now, whether such experience affords them the right to pass such comments? I suppose that may be debatable, though personally, I donít think so.

And of course; we live in a free society, so he/she/they have the ďrightĒ to say whatever they damn-well please. Whether they should in this regard? Well, I think the answer is rather rhetorical.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 02-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
I would like to hear who was the guy and the chanter in question.

Yeah, sorry ... shanít be stated.

Best,
~Nate
Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

There's something about the culture of piping that encourages a my-way-or-the-highway approach. I don't think I've ever joined a new pipe band and not been told that I was fundamentally mistaken about some aspect or other of piping. Sometimes I learnt something new, sometimes...I did not.

Certainly there are some things that some people make work that I wouldn't recommend generally; I can think of chanters, bags, drone reeds I wouldn't personally use, all of which have won medals.

There are also a lot of people with personal or financial relationships with makers and suppliers, and I am sure many of us have seen people publicly endorsing something they do not in fact use, or even slate behind closed doors.

Finally, there's a natural tendency to use our knowledge and to elevate our knowledge above what we actually see and hear, as in the case of the dispraise of the modern pipe above.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #20
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

People have biases in all aspects of life based on our own experiences, and/or based on a thirst for profit. One or both may have been involved here, and depending on the actual situation will tell you the kind of person you are dealing with.

As a reedmaker I've come to appreciate that there are almost NO bad chanters on the market today. There are a couple, and I mean maybe 2 or 3 that are quite tricky to reed, but they can be reeded if the reed is adjusted properly.

Chanters today are a mile and a half past those of days gone by, back in the 70's, 80's and 90's getting a really good chanter was a difficult thing to do and many chanters that came with a set of pipes were set aside and a different brand was bought for "serious work" etc.... Today this is not the case.

Any chanter from any reputable maker can be reeded and made to sound excellent.

All this to say Nate, if you like your sound and you are happy with the performance then that is all that matters. You obviously had the judges enjoying it too which says plenty.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote