Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default So,..what makes it a Bb reed vs a standard reed?

Any factual info here?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: So,..what makes it a Bb reed vs a standard reed?

I'd also like to know...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thatís two. Weíre on a roll.

Interestingly to me, a SGPM friend ...seemed a bit quizzical about them...and said he only uses the makers standard reeds for his Bb set up...playing that same makers Bb chanter.
I visualy compared the two reeds and to my naked eye could see no diff except an added Bb stamp.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Grasping at straws, but might the staple be somehow different?
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=MichiganGaidar;1334911
Grasping at straws, but might the staple be somehow different?[/QUOTE]
That was among my guesses....a longer or miniscule larger diameter staple,.shorter/wider blades,tied lower,maybe thicker at some point....all guesses.
But none of those were manifest obvious on the few "Bb" reeds I examined and compared to a new standard reed.
Albeit I did seem to see, in the right lighting, a very shallow parallel sided gouge at the blades bottom just above the wrapping..on either side of the staple tube centerline.
So indistinct maybe just a glitch in the cane.

Perhaps the staple fold is just a slight nick wider in the Bb version but concealed by the blades and outwardly looking the same.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #6
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Whatever difference there is will be small: perhaps a millimetre on the staple, and a very slightly more gentle angle on the taper.

I must admit I've always just shoved a standard reed into a B flat chanter, more because I leave things to the last minute than for any logical reason, and it's worked fine.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Whatever difference there is will be small: perhaps a millimetre on the staple, and a very slightly more gentle angle on the taper.

I must admit I've always just shoved a standard reed into a B flat chanter, more because I leave things to the last minute than for any logical reason, and it's worked fine.
..Was hoping you’d chime in. Yeah...I looked carefully...but no evident diff in the staple diameter when mating a standard red end against the Bb reed ...I’ll check the staple length with a caliper. Good thot on the taper..Ill also look that over again to compare against a standard reed.

You’re in good company just shoving in a standard reed as my Regimental PM. Friend said he does.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #8
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

I remember that back in 1982 when I started learning the staples for chanter reeds were longer. There was concern about the rising pitch of the chanters then, too. The tuning sessions for mass playing at the piping workshops I attended in those days were a nightmare as the Hardie and Lawrie chanters were optimally tuning at 470 Hz, but the Sinclair, Naill, and Kintail chanters were tuning to 472 Hz.

Contrast this to the workshop I attend last November and the instructor, Ian K. MacDonald, had no problem, other than those with weak chanter reeds, getting all the different chanters in tune.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
linguistisch
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

When I owned all these Bb chanters a few years back they were a pain to reed, very picky. Drones were easier I just used extended Ezees.

Interesting that there's been more of a revival of late for Bb and even more interesting still that there are actual Bb specific reeds instead of trying to ask each maker what they designed the chanter around.

I'm curious too (and still own the Gael, McCallum and MacLellan Bb chanters).

Will
linguistisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistisch View Post
When I owned all these Bb chanters a few years back they were a pain to reed, very picky. Drones were easier I just used extended Ezees.

Interesting that there's been more of a revival of late for Bb and even more interesting still that there are actual Bb specific reeds instead of trying to ask each maker what they designed the chanter around.

I'm curious too (and still own the Gael, McCallum and MacLellan Bb chanters).

Will
...funny ...less than 2 hours ago a mate came by to fiddle with some reeds and his set up....and I mentioned this post.....Iím still surprised some of our more learned folk havenít chimed in with finite Ďwhat to look forí info.