Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-19-2019, 05:58 AM   #11
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Iíve met my threshold and itís 15 degrees

15 degrees is your lower threshold, what's your upper? That's important in Texas, where during the summer the heat can get up to over 110 degrees here in Central Texas. Yankees and Californians start melting at 95 degrees, or so I noticed!

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #12
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Itís still grade school science that h2o freezes at 32F. Knowingly subjecting oneself or instrument to scathing lesser temps is foolhardy. Even the military does not play in these conditions if forewarned....just like the rest of us...they canít .

IMHO I think itís rubbish to boast how well ...or whine how poor...one played under such scathing conditions. Iíve learned to ĎJust say noí .
I learned it too ... so did the entirety of that pipe band, I should like to hope. As for "foolhardy" ... me? At 15? Nooooo way. =)
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
Hurmmark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Never tried 110... yikes, upper 90ís for sure without shade... I believe at that time operator error played a larger role.... never again standing in direct sun for an hour before playing.....I will say the moisture control is just as important summer as in winter....I am familiar with Houstonís humidity.... in which case, could you use two moisture control devices in-tandem? .
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #14
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurmmark View Post
Never tried 110... yikes, upper 90ís for sure without shade... I believe at that time operator error played a larger role.... never again standing in direct sun for an hour before playing.....I will say the moisture control is just as important summer as in winter....I am familiar with Houstonís humidity.... in which case, could you use two moisture control devices in-tandem? .
For the past 20 years I've only used the Ross Canister System, never had a problem with high humidity. Having to stand for long periods of time in direct sun with no shade in the summer in Texas is another story, however.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

Let's see. Lower limit had to have been: 10 degrees F with a twenty mph wind at the top of a mountain for a kid's cross country ski race starting send-off. Finger-less wool gloves, ski parka, compression shorts under my kilt, blue knees to match the tartan. Upper limit: 105 degrees F at a small local Games. Lost my waistcoat and loosened my tie, abandoned the competition gear for a t-shirt as soon as the solos were over. Both of these happened within 180 miles of my home. Same set of pipes for both.

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
15 degrees is your lower threshold, what's your upper? That's important in Texas, where during the summer the heat can get up to over 110 degrees here in Central Texas. Yankees and Californians start melting at 95 degrees, or so I noticed!

Cheers -

Wes

As I said, coldest was 2˚F with a breeze, hottest was 105˚F , but there were two of us, so we took turns playing. BTW, we are both Yankees ( New Englanders) and neither of us melted.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #17
Hurmmark
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
For the past 20 years I've only used the Ross Canister System, never had a problem with high humidity. Having to stand for long periods of time in direct sun with no shade in the summer in Texas is another story, however.

Cheers -

Wes

Ross canister with the kitty litter? or silica beads?.... I prefer beads, far less dusty. I would vacuum the canister before planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #18
JBGriffith
Forum Clasp

Hats off to you who can play in those brutal temps. Living in the Deep South, I'm wary of playing anytime the temp dips below 40 degrees F. Perhaps a quick graveside service ( 8 to 10 minutes) isn't too bad, but I don't have the winter duds to do much else. Have never owned a hand warmer nor insulated underwear. My problem is the long, hot summers. Our Spring begins in February, and Summer finally ends sometime after Thanksgiving. Thank goodness our winters usually last only about two months.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #19
JP Cahill
Forum Silver Medal

Many moons ago (Pancelticpiper may remember this) the late, lamented Chino Highland games opened on a Saturday in which the temperature may have exceeded 119F. No one could be sure as the official thermometer only went up to 119F. I don't know whether that was my upper limit or not. I didn't play. I bought a cold drink and went home.
JP Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #20
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Below 45F, it's the MaCallum plastic Pipes only...in the very low temps it's the fingers and reeds that go...short blasts only...no time for a concert...folks that are paying the Piper should be told such.