Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Default Re: Time management as a multi-instrumentalist

I play the pipes with similar fingering...highland, border, lowland. I tried....past tense...tried Northumbrian smallpipes. My brain, fingers, or both just could not get the hang of closed chanter fingering. I have decided to be happy with the status as is.

As to non-piping escapades, I play pedal-steel guitar and lead guitars in a classic rock band. We play fund-raisers healthcare charities. Buffet, Eagles, Merle, Dead, Beatles, etc. Covid has put a temporary hold on the band stuff.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #12
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

This may be a bit off the track but related... A few years ago I did a solo concert on SSP for a retirement community. Afterward a wise woman approached me and said she loved the concert, adding that I must really love my instrument to be willing to spend so much time with it. I went into my typical spiel about why I love the sound of bagpipes. She listened politely, then explained that she meant I must love MY particular set of pipes in order to be willing to spend so much time in practice. How true!! I dearly love my set of pipes and have used her sage words when people inquire about getting an instrument for themselves or their child so they can learn. Having a quality instrument is essential to success in playing. I'm preaching to the choir here but thought I'd add that bit.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #13
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
TSNIP I dearly love my set of pipes and have used her sage words when people inquire about getting an instrument for themselves or their child so they can learn. Having a quality instrument is essential to success in playing. I'm preaching to the choir here but thought I'd add that bit.
What make of Smallpipes do you play?
Old 11-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
I found uilleann pipes to be very complimentary of highland piping. There are many interchangeable techniques.
What I've found, in 35 years of helping Highland pipers on their first steps into uilleann piping, is that at first they try to transfer Highland pipe techniques onto the uilleann pipes, and sound like what they are, Highland pipers transferring their Highland piping onto the uilleann pipes.

What I advise them to do is to approach it as if they were learning trombone or piano or violin, an entirely different instrument.

The saying is "forget everything you think you know about piping" in other words try to become a tabula rasa.

Almost everything is different: the fingering (for example having a half-dozen different ways of fingering the same note for various purposes), the way you hold the chanter, the way you lift your fingers off the chanter, the fundamental approach to articulation, the fundamental approach to ornamentation, the approach to air pressure in the bag (tailoring the pressure for the various notes) and so on.

The analogy is trying to get fluent in a new language while holding onto the grammar and pronunciation habits of English.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #15
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Klondike Waldo, my SSP were made by Julian Goodacre. I love the sound plus the fact that he uses local woods. I know there are some really primo pipes out there but these suit me very well.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

We all have the same 24 hours. Iíve started playing with a Celtic/folk/rock band and havenít played GHB since March really. I only practice a few hours a week and itís all whistle and EWI.

Probably in the future Iíll schedule in time for GHB again too. No reason I couldnít devote a couple hours a day if I wanted. Priorities.