Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Forum activity levels

Is it just me or has this place gotten quieter and quieter over the past two or three years? I used to look forward to reading the forum during my lunch hour but now find that there are very few posts each day. I am scratching my head as to why this might be. It is still the same old forum with the same rules. Many of the great pipers and makers, that are such great learning resources and used to post here, still seem to be members but don't post much anymore.

Is there another forum (Facebook maybe) that has lured everyone away? Is interest in piping declining? Is something else to blame? Maybe I am off base and the actual forum traffic and membership hasn't changed much but it seems like it has.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Forum activity levels

Yup, Facebook mostly. I noticed there were much fewer posts like you mentioned and actually checked the member numbers vs who has posted in the last couple years. I'd say less than 10% are still active and of those even fewer actually posting...

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 12-02-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary block quote of entire first post.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

It is a bit of a ghost town though I can't say I have found anywhere else online where there is any more traffic but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Perhaps we've reached the point in history when most people would rather play their pipes/drums than talk about them
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have recently, more frequently decided to post my ideas to my personal Facebook page instead of Dunsire. While Facebook posts are often set to public, still most responses are from people I know or at least, whose names I know. I have the non-commercial, purely amateur web presence that I have out of a desire to connect with people who share a passion for piping. That just doesn’t happen as effectively with people hiding behind pseudonyms.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Andrew Lenz

There's something to be said for a traditional online forum:
- Posts are organized into forums with related topics;
- Posts moderated to remove/prevent conflicts;
- Searching for old posts is easier and more organized;
- Text can be made bold, italic, colored, larger, smaller, etc. to emphasize an idea or clarify statements.
- A person with no piping experience won't just chime in with a non sequitur.

What Facebook has going for it is that people are there already, so it's easy to throw out a question and get comments. FB will continue to erode traditional online forums. That's unfortunate in my book. Me? If I want to have a piping discussion, I come to BDF.

I asked Mike, our admin, about traffic a few months back. He said the amount of actual visits isn't all that different . . . but we can all see there are fewer posts by those visitors.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I agree with all of Andrew's points about the advantages of a chat forum over Facebook.

Nevertheless a number of the chat forums I frequent are having their members bail for Facebook.

A chat forum is like a book: you can open a book to whatever page you want, go back as often as you choose- that page will always be there.

Facebook reminds me of standing on a bridge with dozens of people tossing notes they've written into the water- you get a glimpse, then they flow past and are gone.

I've returned to a Facebook chat only hours after I first saw it, only to discover that it's evidently gone from my "feed" or pushed so far down the feed that I'll never see it again.

Personally I don't go on Facebook much, but I have been spending my time on other chat forums (non-piping).

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 12-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
Toxpert
Forum Regular

I am one of those that will not join the Facebook mass.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
EagleJCS
Forum Gold Medal

I'm on FB to keep track of the social activities of my family & friends and occasionally chime in on one of their posts.

I come to online fora like BDF for subject-specific information I'm not likely to find elsewhere, or at least not as much quality information as I might find here.

Perhaps one reason that the posts have grown fewer is that there is a preponderance of subjects that have already been covered and all the curious need do is search the forum for the subject in question. Some questions have been hashed, re-hashed and hashed again.

I've done some Google searches on occasion and found some of the OLD posts from this forum turn up in the results.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
KeithAlex344
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxpert View Post
I am one of those that will not join the Facebook mass.
I hear that my friend. Me personally if you want to get ahold of me I've got a cell phone/email....
KeithAlex344 is offline   Reply With Quote