Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
RJB
Forum Regular

Default Re: What reaction do you get when playing in public?

Back to the point, the only time I play solo in public is at a memorial or funeral, and even then, it's not really public. It's at a cemetery, and there aren't many passers by.

The only other times in public, it's with the band. We all come prepared to play our level best, take time to tune our instruments away from the crowd, then show up to play our sets. And then, we only play for so long, and don't go on and on and on. This instrument can be overplayed, and there's always the old adage "leave them wanting more".

I have to agree with those who've addressed novice players who aren't ready as being the main culprits in the dislike of the instrument by the general public. Students should be given the green light by their instructors to play in public, even if it's just Agrazing Mace. Even then, a problem arises when at a funeral or memorial, and the family asks if other tunes can be played, the novice will seize the opportunity to play other tunes they don't know well, and they send an otherwise satisfactory performance careening over the edge.

Please, beginning players, for the sake of our instrument and music, make sure you get the 'go ahead' from your instructor or PM before venturing into public waters!
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

A couple of weeks ago, I played for a funeral in a local cemetery. On returning to my car, I found a note on my windshield : "We loved your playing. Would you please give us your contact information? it was signed with an email address.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #13
Carnardly
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidck View Post
If 28 is a late starter, then I am positively geriatric at 38!
and I have another 20 or so years on you. I'm obviously prehistoric
Carnardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #14
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

A couple o' quick responses... as the Thread
has taken... a turn... :)

First... and to the original question... in my
experience... having played and practiced
outside... in parks... et al... the pipes draw
other people... as they once... drew us... :)
and so... lovely interactions... and meeting
lovely people... is all just one of those good
parts... of The Piping Game... :)

And... as for a "Starting Age"... well... any
age... will do... quite nicely... thank you... :)

The oldest fellow that I helped get started...
down this wondrous path... was in his mid-60s...
and he did... and is doing... quite well... :)

Ne'er let mere Time... stand in your way!!

If you want to... you can!! :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Old 10-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
Piper_DaveTO

Our Toronto band of 6-8 pipers and a tenor has been practicing in an isolated public park since our normal practice location is closed. Passers-by often stop for a while to listen and a few have even made tune requests. Iíve also ventured out to play on my own a couple of times this month. Again, itís not been an issue and Iíve even had some applause after playing a few sets! Only one person has asked me about my pipes. The remainder just seem happy to watch and enjoy the music.
Piper_DaveTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #16
Aged Piper

Quote:
If 28 is a late starter, then I am positively geriatric at 38!
28? 38? Although I had a music background, I didnít start learning the pipes until 2000, when I was 51. Great instructors, lots of practice and great luck in being able to play in public at a paying gig 3-4 times a week for several years all helped with my development. Still play events. People are polite, inquisitive and friendly. No one has torched the car yet.
Aged Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #17
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
I suppose itís just the novelty of seeing someone playing the bagpipes in public, combined with the fact that they canít tell Iím actually making mistakes, but Iím wondering if this is just how people tend to react.
It's not specific to bagpipes. If you go to a park and play any musical instrument some people will stop and listen. People like music. Some people rarely experience live music.

I was on a business trip to Washington DC once and I took my bagpipes so I could practice because the band had a contest the following weekend. I knew there was a traffic circle at the corner where the hotel was. So I went out to practice. Lots of people stopped and watched for a bit, or gave a thumbs up. One guy listened for a while and waited for me to stop playing and then walked up and handed me some money. When I was done I stopped and turned around and realized that in the other direction there was a view of the White House.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:34 AM   #18
DNorwood
Forum Regular

And
Back to the point

I've practiced in public and performed in public. The latter was never negative.

Regarding practicing in public: I've gotten many reactions over the years. Most of the time, people were friendly and curious. Some were triggered.

While I always pick a public space that is open enough and a time that respectful,
I've learned that when in a public space like a park or cemetary or ball field, that I really don't care how people react.

It is a practice and not a performance.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #19
NorthOf49

Great to hear that responses to public playing are, generally, are positive. Thatís calming, as I have just about reached the point where I feel like braving playing out of doors where I can be seen. Perhaps Iíll start by finding an audience of cows outside the city, though.

As an aside, I am a new student at 60, who absolutely regrets not having started earlier.
NorthOf49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #20
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthOf49 View Post
Great to hear that responses to public playing are, generally, are positive. Thatís calming, as I have just about reached the point where I feel like braving playing out of doors where I can be seen. Perhaps Iíll start by finding an audience of cows outside the city, though.

As an aside, I am a new student at 60, who absolutely regrets not having started earlier.
Good on ya, NorthOf49! You're in good company up your way with some outstanding pipers. All the best in the journey!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote