Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Winch
Forum Regular

Default I Want To Try a New Brand of Drone Reeds

I've used Ezeedrone reeds the entire 8 years that I've been learning pipes and I want to try something different. Looking for reeds that are air efficient, cut in well, and don't howl. I am looking for recommendations based on your experience. My pipes are Naill's ABW and I usually use a Naill plastic band chanter although I have a wooden chanter. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: I Want To Try a New Brand of Drone Reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch View Post
I've used Ezeedrone reeds the entire 8 years that I've been learning pipes and I want to try something different. Looking for reeds that are air efficient, cut in well, and don't howl. I am looking for recommendations based on your experience. My pipes are Naill's ABW and I usually use a Naill plastic band chanter although I have a wooden chanter. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Hey winch!

Wel there's really no wrong answers here.

That being said:

Make, model, wood quality, weather, personal blowing, reed strength, and maintenance all effect the choice.

Personally I'd say try Kinnaird Edge drone reeds.

Here's what I've found with them.

Big sound, easy to tune, and very easy to dial in for efficiency and stability.

These are slightly more technical than previous versions of Kinnaird reeds, however it only makes them a better all round product.

The addition of a tuning screw for the tongue opening the reeds are optimal for those like me whom take the time to balance air efficiency/demand of the reeds.

Obviously there are plenty of options and again: no wrong answers. Find what you like, chase your perfect sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Winch
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Hey winch!

Wel there's really no wrong answers here.

That being said:

Make, model, wood quality, weather, personal blowing, reed strength, and maintenance all effect the choice.

Personally I'd say try Kinnaird Edge drone reeds.

Here's what I've found with them.

Big sound, easy to tune, and very easy to dial in for efficiency and stability.

These are slightly more technical than previous versions of Kinnaird reeds, however it only makes them a better all round product.

The addition of a tuning screw for the tongue opening the reeds are optimal for those like me whom take the time to balance air efficiency/demand of the reeds.

Obviously there are plenty of options and again: no wrong answers. Find what you like, chase your perfect sound.

LOL you could spend a fortune on the different options out there!! Thanks for the tip on the Kinnairds!
Old 10-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
LOL you could spend a fortune on the different options out there!! Thanks for the tip on the Kinnairds!

Oh I'm aware. Lol

DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

I just switched to Kinnaird Edge, as well, though my drones ('80s Kilgour) are quite different from Naill. I've never had success with EZs; yet those who play them love them.

We are fortunate, these days, to have so many excellent choices out there; and I hear of newer ones all the time. As you know, and will likely experience, you're going to get a gazillion opinions. Perhaps those with Naill of your vintage will have more appropriate suggestions.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
You didnít mention why? You already have arguably the most popular reed on the market and played by,..arguably,...more than half of the worlds uppermost Pipers. Unless knackered ( 8 years same reeds?...ever change the bridles?) or tongues someway khaked up...excellent reeds...arguably the gold standard.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
Winch
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
You didnít mention why? You already have arguably the most popular reed on the market and played by,..arguably,...more than half of the worlds uppermost Pipers. Unless knackered ( 8 years same reeds?...ever change the bridles?) or tongues someway khaked up...excellent reeds...arguably the gold standard.
I'm on my second set and they are probably 3-4 years old with the original bridles and tongues. I just want to try something different, maybe a different sound. I do have a hard time adjusting the EZ's.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I wish I had more experience with Naill. That being said, if youíd like a bold sound try Ackland; theyíre cheaper than everything else. My go to reed these days. Maybe not best for band use without drone valves as they sound more easily than most. He sells direct.

Limiting to reeds available from retailers I like original Kinnaird and X-TREME (though Chris isnít making tenor reeds last I checked, just the bass which is a fantastic bass reed). Coupled with Kinnaird original or perhaps Redwood tenors would again be a solid, bold tone.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Who makes a good cane reed? Old school cane with a bridle...
Toxpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
1911 guy
Forum Silver Medal

Who makes a good cane reed? Old school cane with a bridle...

Shawn Husk. I have two sets of his drone reeds. Good stuff and reasonable price.

In my pipe box right now I have two sets of Husk cane, two sets of EZ Drones and one set of Kinnaird Evolution. Dunbar polys, btw.

Last edited by 1911 guy; 10-30-2020 at 06:36 PM.
1911 guy is offline   Reply With Quote