Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
Itchyknee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Outrageous Uniforms

No photos pancelticpiper?
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-01-2006, 07:49 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

About the photos- there seems to be four bands at that event, one in Full Dress, two in modern civilian pipe band dress, and one dressed in late 18th century Scottish Highland regimental uniform. Each individual band's uniform is perfectly acceptable for what it is (except perhaps for the full dress pipe sergeant who is wearing his piper badge in the wrong place).
Old 10-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #13
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I actually do have a slide or two of the Buchanan Full Dress band (Santa Monica Highland Games, 1975) but I haven't scanned them yet...
Old 10-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #14
Joe Korber
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carr:
Take a look at the red tunic, with black watch kilt and diced Balmorals here:

(Dont mention the miniskirt kilt length)

http://www.inveraan.org/album.asp?id=15

Anyone have any more examples?

Of course this might be a historically correct depiction of an ancient highland uniform.... In which case I just made an ass of myself.

Bill Carr
Being familiar with that group I do believe that that is exactly what they are trying to replicate, actually 18th century is to be exact.
I'm not sure how close to the mark they come but so be it.
I'm not even sure what purpose this whole thread serves. Folks are going to wear what they want to, let the fashion police sort them out. If clothes were an issue we'd all have taken up the piano or the fiddle.

joe korber
not the fashion police

intinerant musician and supporter of things that will get me out of the house
Old 10-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
Dave Sanderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

The uniforms on the folks in the pictures with the red coatees are representing men in the British Army in the 18th century at the time of the American Revolution.

Kilt length was shorter by modern standards, the length is an arbitrary thing anyway. It is much easier to manouver with a slightly shorter kilt while on patrol or persueing an enemy, you can simply run faster. It's even a more freedom if you are wearing a great kilt as there are no sewn in pleats.

The bonnets are correct of the time period they are representing and are not balmorls but are a blocked bonnet with stiff piece of leather used to stiffen the diced band. This is the middle example of the evolution from the plain blue bonnet to the full feather bonnet a few years latter.

I agree witth he arm chevrons on the arms of the fifer and drummer in the pictures I'm not in agreement with them on the pipers. These decorations were generaly added to the uniforms of the "official" musicians of the Reg. and pipers of that period were not "officialy" there and would have kitted out the same as other soldiers.

My uniform as piper for the Historic Guard of The Queen's Rangers is exactly the same except I have a dark green coatee instead of a red one as we retained the green colour for concealment rather than switching to red as authourized. 225 years latter the mess kit of a Queen's York Ranger is still green with dark blue facings.

Dave
Old 10-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #16
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Korber:
Being familiar with that group I do believe that that is exactly what they are trying to replicate, actually 18th century is to be exact.
Well I'm glad I covered my behind with the "ass" statement in my first post....

Heeehaww... heehaww.. heehaww.....

Bill
Old 10-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
Mark Reed
Forum Regular

I've had the opportunity to travel to a few different places and visit with bands. In my opinion American Grade IV, V tend to favor that pseudo British kit. I was always told that it's sort of a carry over from a time back in the 1950-60's when most pipers had some military/police/fire affiliation. Although most folks don't have those ties anymore, some bands still try to emulate that look.

I originally started in a band that wore kit like that and had a rude awakening when I went abroad. Not knowing any better, I thought that I was appropiately dressed and rather competent in my playing ability....boy, was I wrong. I was at a piping school at the time, and no one made fun of me, but I did get a few snickers, smerks and WTFs. I had an instructor, Albert Duncan ex CDN Seaforth Highlanders, take quite a bit of time straightening out my fingers and teaching me about piping tradition and what's proper and what not.

I think that at times Americans tend to forget that the doublets, bonnets and the like are actually part of a modern military tradition. As a friend of mine put it, "What's the difference between you (American) guys dressing up in our kit and say...an Italian Glockenspel band dressing up in U.S. Army dress blues with your ribbons". That sort hit me hard, because you know he's right.

But that's my two cents worth of rambling.

All the best,
Mark R.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
Funkee Munkee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Oh Bill, you don't rate the time or expense of Marines for mere fatuity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carr:
Ok.... It's not an "American thing".... I withdraw that statement before someone sends the Marines after me

Old 10-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #19
TuxedoPark
Forum Silver Medal

Bill,
That group is more of a re-enactment group than a pipe band.
They're supposed to be 42nd Black Watch circa American Revolutionary era - also have fifes in addition to the pipes, do some highland dancing.
Nice group of people.
There are also Invera'an and John Ford bands of St. Louis, Missouri and Saint Andrews of Springfield, Illinois in the photos.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #20
uncle Mario Tomasone
Holy smoking keyboard!

Check this site for reference

XVIII c. 42nd website