Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #21
New Hudson Highlander
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Outrageous Uniforms

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carr:

Of course this might be a historically correct depiction of an ancient highland uniform.... In which case I just made an ass of myself.

Bill Carr
Regardless, Bill...ugly is ugly.

-NHH
Old 10-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #22
TuxedoPark
Forum Silver Medal

"Regardless, Bill...ugly is ugly."
You mean some of the uniforms, right?
Because those Invera'an members appear to be a handsome bunch of lads.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #23
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I remember one year at the Alma, MI games a rather attractive young lady paraded herself proudly around the field for most of the day wearing a cheap tartan tam, a frilly white blouse, a tartan miniskirt, a dress sporran hanging below the hem of her miniskirt, bare legs with sandals and a pair of white, military spats. She was apparently oblivious to the nudges and snickers she engendered. She must have been inspired by those "cartoon Scots" one often sees in advertisements.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #24
New Hudson Highlander
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by TuxedoPark:
"Regardless, Bill...ugly is ugly."
You mean some of the uniforms, right?
Because those Invera'an members appear to be a handsome bunch of lads.
Yes, the uniforms. I make no judgements on whether or not any guy is ugly or pretty.

-NHH
Old 10-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #25
Don Robertson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Reed:

I think that at times Americans tend to forget that the doublets, bonnets and the like are actually part of a modern military tradition. As a friend of mine put it, "What's the difference between you (American) guys dressing up in our kit and say...an Italian Glockenspel band dressing up in U.S. Army dress blues with your ribbons". That sort hit me hard, because you know he's right.

But that's my two cents worth of rambling.

All the best,
Mark R.
Umm, ok, good point. However, there are still a lot of civilian bands that wear a military style uniform. In fact, for a civilian band to be invited to play in the Edinburgh Tattoo, they have to wear a military style uniform. City of Dunedin, NZ being one of them. I also think that most Americans who wear a military style band uniform know exactly what it is, and I'd dare, say more than most who don't. Also, I really wouldn't have a problem with any kind of band wearing a US military uniform in a band setting. I'd actually take it as a compliment.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #26
Back in Black
Forum Silver Medal

Don't want to hijack this thread so please, if my comment here is way off, start me another thread--if you know how--but this brings up a few dress and deportment questions I'd really like answered, esp. before I begin shopping for my own "solo" outfit for weddings, funerals, etc. #1)Which items are clearly military and which are not? #2)Which items would be considered timeless classics of non-military solo piper wear and which would be considered the latest thing, and which would be considered "old hat," passe, or a cry for help? For bands, the question is probably moot, since relatively few of us band members actually have a say in what our band wears. But just for grins, I'd also like to know which bands' uniforms are considered the most appropriate, in-fashion, smart, snappy, etc,? Just trying to learn here and am intensely interested in the myriad opinions, especially those reading this thread who may be piping or drumming instructors and/or judges...
Old 10-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #27
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carr:
Take a look at the red tunic, with black watch kilt and diced Balmorals here:

(Dont mention the miniskirt kilt length)

http://www.inveraan.org/album.asp?id=15

Just an FYI, Invera'an are the ones in the ancient MacFarlane, black Aryll jackets, and wastecoats with the glengarry.

Oh, and that was a fun little (and growing event). I think our friends from Springfield only got us kicked out of one bar this year instead of 3.

If you're interested in finding out more about this growing event...let me know.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #28
Richard Cranium
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt:
Aye that is fine daily wear you have there Itchyknee. Here is mine.

Ohh, but it looks good on you though!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #29
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Back in Black- it's a fact that the fashion is set by the top grade one bands, and that can be easily checked out by viewing the DVD of the 2005 World Pipe Band Championships, available from many of the forum sponsors. View that to see what the current fashion is- what is considered, in the pipe band world, to be "snappy", "smart", and "in fashion". To see what is military, consult any book that covers the Scottish regiments. A great start is "The Scottish Regiments" by Ted Nevill (The Crowood Press, 1999). Comparing the DVD of the "Worlds" and this book will make quite clear what is civilian and what is military in current Highland Dress.