Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Highlander83
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bagpipe ID

Hi all,

I am looking for opinions on a possible maker for these pipes. Not much is known about them. They might be from the 1930s, according to the owner, and seem to be full natural mounts.

Possible makers that come to mind are Lawrie, Henderson, Macrae, but looking for input.

These are the best photos I have available at the moment.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by Highlander83; 01-12-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Highlander83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Bagpipe ID

No opinion on the maker, but is it possible that the mounts are actually celluloid instead of ivory? The pictures aren't sharp enough to be sure, and the presence of Schreger lines would verify ivory.
I guess it is just an impression based on the one mount closeup, the color and the presumed time period.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
Highlander83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
No opinion on the maker, but is it possible that the mounts are actually celluloid instead of ivory? The pictures aren't sharp enough to be sure, and the presence of Schreger lines would verify ivory.
I guess it is just an impression based on the one mount closeup, the color and the presumed time period.
Thats certainly possible. These are the best pictures I could get at the time. The owner was sure they were natural mounts, but celluloid from that period sometimes looks very similar. I did end up purchasing th pipes, and will investigate closer when I receive them.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Highlander83

Here's an additional photo of the set.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #5
Stephanie Allen
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander83 View Post
I did end up purchasing th pipes, and will investigate closer when I receive them.
Congratulations! I was eyeing this set, too. I couldn't justify another bagpipe so I'm glad they'll get the attention they deserve! Enjoy!
Old 01-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
Highlander83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Allen View Post
Congratulations! I was eyeing this set, too. I couldn't justify another bagpipe so I'm glad they'll get the attention they deserve! Enjoy!
Thanks Stephanie! SmalI world! I had been looking for a new set for a while. These look promising, we'll see what I can find out once I receive them.

Last edited by Highlander83; 01-13-2021 at 09:41 AM.