Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #11
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Tuning tape

Or a piece of tape above each hole and a few more below the tone holes.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #12
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm using whatever is sold at the National Piping Centre. Got a roll last year at the Worlds and it's the best stuff. Reading through the comments, I think it's the Scapa tape as it seems to be more PVC than vinyl.

Haven't found anything like it Stateside, but haven't really needed to - it lasts for quite a while so I haven't needed to change it out as often as I did with gaffer tape or electrical tape.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #13
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
What do you use that works at 1 degree north?
I use the Scapa one I've tried TuneTape (the thick transparent one) - yucks! Thick, slides around and residue at the edges. I think even hardware store electrical tape is better at/in a pinch.

As to PVC/vinyl for Scapa, mea culpa - it is PVC: 2702 is "an electrical lead free self-extinguishing plasticised PVC tape, 0.13mm thick"
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #14
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
I use the Scapa one I've tried TuneTape (the thick transparent one) - yucks! Thick, slides around and residue at the edges. I think even hardware store electrical tape is better at/in a pinch.

As to PVC/vinyl for Scapa, mea culpa - it is PVC: 2702 is "an electrical lead free self-extinguishing plasticised PVC tape, 0.13mm thick"
Unless I'm misunderstanding .. Scapa vinyl tape is the same as gaffer tape?

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post

Or a piece of tape above each hole and a few more below the tone holes.
Yes...the best solution....it amazes me still how guys show up tapeless....' I broke my reed' ..'it didn't sound good so I took it off' , ' I needed some tape for my homework'...yadayada.... hence I've become a card carrying tapemeister...plus a small amount of heavily waxed 2" pieces of hemp and a small roll.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #16
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Here in the US, gaffer tape is more like duct tape. It's not duct tape, but more like it than vinyl or PVC electrical tape. It's used for wrapping together bundles of wires, or taping things down to the floor.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #17
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Here in the US, gaffer tape is more like duct tape. It's not duct tape, but more like it than vinyl or PVC electrical tape. It's used for wrapping together bundles of wires, or taping things down to the floor.

Right .... that's indeed what I refer to as gaffer tape ... not to be confused with duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #18
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Nate, the Scapa tape I referenced is like a superior electrical insulation tape - thin, very conforming, and doesn't move. Gaffer tape is used by AV techs as a kind of jack-of-all-tape used for a variety of situations and quite heavy-duty. At least this is my understanding having no reason to use it.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #19
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Nate, the Scapa tape I referenced is like a superior electrical insulation tape - thin, very conforming, and doesn't move. Gaffer tape is used by AV techs as a kind of jack-of-all-tape used for a variety of situations and quite heavy-duty. At least this is my understanding having no reason to use it.
Yes...gaffer tape is on the order of,say, 3x the thickness of 'electrical' tape and has a relatively coarse ..cloth like..finish. Bullet proof.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #20
cannont
Forum Member

Chanter tape sold by J Higgins.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
cannont is offline   Reply With Quote