Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
piper_hm
Forum Silver Medal

Default Trap Dri Mini-Flow

Is anyone using this new system in their hide bag? Positives? Negatives?
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
Mctaorluath
Forum Member

Default Re: Trap Dri Mini-Flow

Have had the system for a wee while. It takes a bit of getting used to taking it on and out. With a bit practice I have found it becomes quite straight forward. I was using drone dry stocks and trap dri with tube and sponge on the end with goatskin bag. On a decent day would get 45 mins. With this device I now can easily get hour and a Half. Only minuses I have noticed is that as with any moisture system attached to the drones I have used in the past you loose something tonally. For what minor you loose the stability far out weighs. Other thing I would say is would not use for a few days after a season until seasoning thickens on bag and won't clog holes on installation. Hope this is of help.
Mctaorluath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Silver Medal

Have recently received and tested the Trap-Dri Mini-Flow and so far my thoughts are positive.

The assembly can seem awkward until you first familiar yourself with everything included and how it works. After that, it's pretty straight forward. The supplied blue tube for guiding the hemp through the split stock and into the drone stock was too wide, but I just used a packing piece of sheepskin and it worked well. I imagine tying the hemp to a small magnet and feeding a retractable pen magnet (can get at any local hardware) down the drone stock to pick it up would work even better.

My sheepskin bag hadn't been seasoned recently, so I was actually able to insert the canisters into the bottom of the stocks by guiding them into the bag through the split stock and working them into position without using the hemp. I wouldn't advise doing this if your bag is overly wet or if you've seasoned your bag recently, as, like mentioned, the holes in the bottom of the units may get plugged with seasoning.

From a performance standpoint, I got an additional hour on the pipes and still had no moisture on the reeds. Tone and volume was slightly affected, but this was expected and stability trumps a bit of loss in tone. I used the Mini-Flow along side the Trap-Dri tube trap and added a sponge in the back of the tube.

Very impressed with this new product and it gives me more confidence to get through a long playing session with no issues. Recommend!
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
Alan Forbes
Forum Member

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. It's great to hear you are enjoying the benefits of the new system.
Alan Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Forbes View Post
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. It's great to hear you are enjoying the benefits of the new system.
Alan...was I correct a few weeks ago to state here I'd thot you'd devised a new TD set up .....that incorporates a 'moose valve' device at the back end of the TD ....thus able to do away with the damage prone flapper at the end of the blowstick each time pouring off?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Alan Forbes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Alan...was I correct a few weeks ago to state here I'd thot you'd devised a new TD set up .....that incorporates a 'moose valve' device at the back end of the TD ....thus able to do away with the damage prone flapper at the end of the blowstick each time pouring off?
Drop me a message. I will get something made for you.
Alan Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote