Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #21
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Electronic Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_111 View Post
I did! It should be here next week.
Look forward to hearing more about it! I'm very close to making the plunge myself. I'm thinking about the plastic model though, as I don't really think the material should be important in any respect.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #22
milwiron
Forum Regular

Quote:
I did! It should be here next week.
It's been a month, did you get your A-pipes? How about a review!
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #23
Jared Loch
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Following this. My candidacy for electronic pipes is steadily increasing...
Jared Loch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:55 AM   #24
oconnormuse
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I bought an a-pipes about a year ago for my son who has been playing for a couple of years now. I myself have been playing for over 45 years. I must confess that I've never missed an opportunity to "borrow" it off him. Now I've finally ordered one for myself. The reasons are quite simple: it's the real deal. You are playing on a chanter which feels like a real pipe chanter. This makes it ideal for honing your technique. Take the birl, for example. On my Fagerstrom Technopipes (which I do love for their practicality, compactness, etc.), my birls always used to sound much better than when I played them on my pipes. The a-pipes is much less forgiving, like the GHB. I found that practising on the a-pipes greatly improved my birl technique, not only on the practice chanter, but on the pipes too.
Another feature I use extensively is the partition generator. You simply plug the a-pipes into your PC via a usb cable, run the free "a-pipes remote software", press record, play a tune and save it. You can then open the saved file in the free "bagpipe" application and view/edit the partition to share with your bandmates.
Finally, I found it very useful to be able to adjust the sensitivity of each note using the "a-pipes remote software". Not being a great technician, I did it through trial and error, but it didn't take long and the result was an extremely responsive chanter which felt just like the real thing.
oconnormuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #25
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnormuse View Post
[COLOR=black]I bought an a-pipes about a year ago for my son who has been playing for a couple of years now. I myself have been playing for over 45 years. I must confess that I've never missed an opportunity to "borrow" it off him. Now I've finally ordered one for myself.
I might need to grab this. Thanks for the review.

Can you think of any functional reason to get the wood version over the plastic?

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 09-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #26
paul_111
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
I might need to grab this. Thanks for the review.

Can you think of any functional reason to get the wood version over the plastic?

Cheers,
~Nate
Nate: the plastic is 3d printed. I exchanged it for wood.
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #27
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Nate: the plastic is 3d printed. I exchanged it for wood.
That's good to know ... explains the price difference.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 10-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #28
paul_111
Forum Member

Ok, here's my almost complete review...

I have put this thing through its paces - accelerated testing, if you will. I have played it almost every day since I received it - sometimes for hours.

Philippe has been outstanding to work with!

He spent a lot of time working with me to find a driver for Mac. We had to iterate, as he didn't have a Mac to use. After many attempts, he found one that worked. I don't know how many vendors out there would spend so much time to make sure his product worked fully.

The software is really cool - you can compose as you play. Then you can save and print off the exercises, rather than manually typing them in.

The instrument itself is great. Philippe really has a solid product. There was a slight learning curve initially, as I had become familiar to the technopipes controls.

The holes make it feel like a real pipe chanter, which is really nice. The optical sensors are SWEET! No more missed notes from dry fingers.

One thing to keep in mind with respect to the output to headphones - the A-pipes need high impedance headphones. I use earbuds, and it was waaaayyy too loud. Maybe if you've been playing longer than me and have greatly diminished hearing you'd be ok. I bought an in-line potentiometer/volume control and it is perfect now.

The plastic version is, unfortunately, 3D printed. This is the only issue I have with the A-pipes. I don't think 3D printing is an acceptable manufacturing process for something like this, as it feels cheap and there is some flex to it. I chose the plastic because I wanted a bulletproof acetal/delrin version, not unlike the proper instrument. So I exchanged it for wood. Now I'm going through dry finger withdrawal while waiting for shipment.

The technopipes still have their place as a very compact practice instrument. I cannot see using the A-pipes on a plane, as it is the length of a proper pipe chanter. Perhaps it would be ok if you travel first class, but in cattle class, there doesn't appear to be enough room. So I will likely hang on to the technopipes for road trips and planes, but the A-pipes will be my go-to electronic chanter.

I think that covers it for now. I'll update when I have had time to play the wood version.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Pppiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Ok, here's my almost complete review...

I think that covers it for now. I'll update when I have had time to play the wood version.

Thanks for this, good to know, and very helpful. Appreciate your taking the time to do this.

I'll be looking to get my hands on a wood version before long.

Looks like there are all sorts of add-ons and whatnot. Which did you purchase any of these?

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 10-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #30
paul_111
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Thanks for this, good to know, and very helpful. Appreciate your taking the time to do this.

I'll be looking to get my hands on a wood version before long.

Looks like there are all sorts of add-ons and whatnot. Which did you purchase any of these?

Cheers,
~Nate
No, I did not purchase the add ons - it was an expensive purchase as it is. I don't think I'll ever use the bluetooth.