Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: Which is which?
#1 Poly #2 Blackwood 9 40.91%
#1 Blackwood #2 Poly 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Poly or Blackwood Chanter: Can you hear the difference?

I've got a survey going on over on bookface with a link to 2 recordings where, hopefully, the only difference is the material of the chanter.

Have a listen and see if you can identify which is which, poly versus blackwood.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...28&id=16729291

If you're not on bookface, feel free to vote here. Link to the blog post containing the recordings is here:

http://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?p=3722

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 08-28-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Poly or Blackwood Chanter, Can you hear the difference?

Interesting, but in reality, you're testing whether people can tell the difference between ABW and poly when they're recorded.

In the recordings, you can hear differences, and I have a preference for what I like. But...... you're not recording them using studio hi-fidelity equipment, and playback is not necessarily over high quality equipment, and other considerations include the bit-depth of the recordings, etc.

The best test would be to hear them live.

Having said all of the above, it is good to hear differences between the two chanters. For all I know they may be the same exact chanter, but I believe I can identify a preference, which may be poly or ABW.

Charlie
Old 08-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Poly or Blackwood Chanter, Can you hear the difference?

Hmmmm..... having listened to the recordings again on my hifi system (tube driven SET amp into single driver speakers), one recording has a slightly louder chanter which matches the drones in volume to a very pleasing degree.

Either way, both recordings sound pretty good.

Charlie
Old 08-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Hmmmm..... having listened to the recordings again on my hifi system (tube driven SET amp into single driver speakers), one recording has a slightly louder chanter which matches the drones in volume to a very pleasing degree.
Having just mouth blown the reed in both chanters against an iPhone sound pressure level app, I'm afraid to conclude the volume difference in chanters in the two recordings might be an inconsistent rotation/distance from the Zoom H2. Both gave *very* similar readings.

Perhaps this indicates that chanter material has a smaller effect on the perceived sound than orientation?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks Patrick for the clarification. For me, the high A on one of the recordings seems more prominent than the other.

Anyway, I did not mean to nit-pick regarding volume. From what I can hear on the recordings, both chanters sound good. Maybe also a nod to the design of the Kyo chanters?

I only wish I could get my chanter sound as good as yours. My excuse is that the high altitude and dry air of Denver make my chanter sound wimpy!

Charlie
Old 08-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have no idea which is which. But I like #1 better but both sounds good. Maybe you should tweak your poll to ask folks which chanter/recording they like better - it will be instructive to see the results at the reveal (when will that be btw?).
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
the reveal (when will that be btw?).
Wasn't sure how long to leave the poll open. I arbitrarily set it for 8 days. So after that.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
3D Piper
Forum Clasp

They both sound great!

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
DRCTL
Forum Regular

Granted I am listening via a computer laptop speaker, but number 1 sounds a bit more full. So I am guessing #2 is poly. Thanks for doing this, it is interesting at the least.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

For me, number two seems to be tonally "purer" which for some chanters could mean ABW rather than poly.

I'd love to hear them in person. Maybe Patrick could mail them to me after for a trial!

Charlie