Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Canmore Hybrid - Grommets or Traditional tying-in

The Canmore Hybrid bag comes in 2 flavours - with grommets or without (i.e. you need to cut your own holes and tie-in the stocks the old school way). Both come with zips. My question - which is preferable and why? I'm guessing there'll be pluses and minuses either way depending on circumstances/priorities, but it'll be good to be aware of what these are before I make the leap.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Canmore Hybrid - Grommets or Traditional tying-in

1. You lose a little volume with the tying-in that you don't with grommets.

2. Tying-in including inserting the stocks, takes some work, but it isn't too bad.

3. Tying-in does allow a little more flexibility of stock angling, especially good for the blowpipe stock.

4. On some bags, tying-in appears to improve resonance of the drones. However, that may have as much to do with the type of bag material, thickness, and stiffness than the fact that stocks make physical contact with the bag material. While I hear the differences when playing, a spectator may not?

When I played a Bannatyne WMC, I did learn that I could custom order a grommetless version, but never followed it up. Now I use a Gannaway extended small, which I think is wonderful.

The above a just my opinions.

Charlie
Old 09-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Silver Medal

I use a Canmore Hybrid medium with grommets and I've ordered a no grommet medium to see if I can change the drone placement a bit to my personal preference.

I think the grommets work very well and have plenty of 'play' to them and never feel stiff, which especially important with the blowpipe stock. I always tie in the chanter stock.

They are, in my opinion, the best synthetic bag on the market for comfort and their ability to breathe.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

A different take here:
I've owned two Canmore bags, but neither was hybrid. The first gave me 9 years of service- it was tie-in. The second failed in about five years, having developed a crack at the base of the Bass drone grommet which became apparent just as I was warming up before a wedding gig. It was the grommet itself that failed, not the bag, so I was able to tie in the bass drone stock and play the gig five minutes later. I've been playing tied-in hide bags ever since.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

I had a grommet fail on a student's first generation canmore about 19 years ago. Quick application of duct tape got her through the parade. I've seen no failures of this kind since. The grommets on all bags have been a whole new animal since that time and I still feel the Canmore hybrid ext. small bags I'm playing are the most comfortable I've used in my 40+ years of piping.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind tying in my own to get the set up just exactly so. Where's the fun if you aren't always searching for that tiny bit more?!
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for all your input. I like the idea of traditional tie-in but I must say the idea of taking a sharp implement to a bag to cut the holes kind of scares me
Old 09-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
....I always tie in the chanter stock....
Why so, piper_hm?
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Why so, piper_hm?
Likely because it makes a superior seal and looks better than a hose clamp (jubilee clip).
Randy Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
piper_hm
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Why so, piper_hm?
It doesn't shift like the Jubilee clip could do (it happened to folks in my band) and the neck is more flexible to fold in my case. Normally you'd have to tape up the clip to avoid it shredding the bag cover.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

I play the new Canmore hybrid with grommets. Best bag I've ever played. The grommets are fantastic. After years of tying in hide bags I am happy with never doing that again. I also use the supplied moisture control system.
This is a no muss no fuss situation.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote