Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via AIM to plainspiper
Default KwikTune Chanter Stocks

OK, I've watched the video. I've talked to my instructor (he's not thrilled) and now I want to know what the Dunsire squad thinks about these things from ABC.

My instructor (who I have not seen for over 20 years and reconnected with and am getting great input from--thank you FB) says what he thinks is why would you want to stop the chanter from playing to tune the drones? If you stop the chanter and tune drone to drone, isn't there a chance you might be off when you put the chanter back on? Also, what happens when or if that thing turns when you are playing?

Those were his arguments based on how he was taught, and for that matter how I was taught, to tune the pipes. Personally I've stopped my chanter and tried to tune drones on their own and don't find it hard drone to drone--but I'm wondering what others think of that method.
plainspiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Default Re: KwikTune Chanter Stocks

I very often lock the outer drone, then pull out the chanter to tune the others. It can help.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

If you're absolutely certain that you're keeping the same pressure you use when playing while you tune the drones w/o the chanter all should be well. I'm not sure how one does that without the chanter playing high A though, and if you don't tune with the same pressure then you won't actually be tuning at all.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Another one for the file of things that are technological solutions to skill problems.

Not that that's *inherently* bad - but a good place to start is to ask what skilled professionals prefer to do, as they probably understand the tradeoff. Which is why Inverary get tuned using tuners, not ears.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

I've seen this around, and it doesn't seem to me to be anything that would be all that helpful.

Personally, I'd see this as being more valuable as drone stocks (though of course—the device, as currently designed, it's long enough.

Reason being, I'd someday like to put together a 4-drone set of highland pipes, one tenor, one standard bass. The other two, would be bass drones with no middle section .. one set up to sound as a D baritone, the other, as an E baritone.

If the drone stocks could be turned at the base, to close or open the airflow, one could likely switch the desired baritone without having to reach up to the top of the drone.

A mild dream for a rather obscure desire .. but personally, I'd enjoy that.

And really, if ALL drone stocks on normal sets were able to be shut off or restarted from the stock, I feel that could be helpful to plenty of folks.

But chanter stock? No thanks.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Reed
Forum Regular

I have these devices installed on both sets of pipes that I own. They work as advertised. I personally find it much easier to tune my drones without the chanter sounding.

First, one obviously tunes the low A to the outside tenor drone as normal. Then, with a deliberate twist one shuts off the chanter and then tunes the remaining drones. The device will not just shut off on its own; it takes a determined effort to turn it on and off.

As to varying air pressure, it's the same whether you have the chanter sounding or not in terms of maintaining steady pressure. If you can't, then it doesn't matter what or how you attempt to tune you will not be successful.

I find it especially useful when cold tuning for a performance where there is a significant time interval between tunes such as at memorials etc, where one cannot keep the pipes warmed up and ready.

Those that think this device is silly or an affectation are certainly welcome to their opinion. But I always find it fascinating that there's resistance to something simply because it's different or new. The thought of 'we've always done it this way' is what kills forward evolution.

Do you think moisture control is better now or worse with all the devices one can buy? I think that most would agree it's better. What if the status quo said that moisture control is BS when such devices began appearing on the market? How about synthetic drone reeds? Better or worse? I use the newest Kinnaird Evo drone reeds and I think they sound great. I realize opinions vary, of course.

Keep an open mind; try it before you dismiss it. Or, at least talk to those that use a new item before it's gets dismissed as nonsense.

Reed
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

Just for clarification-I'm not against the idea. I have a good friend that uses the rod from his Piper's Pal reed cap for the same purpose. I've just heard so many pipers who blow flat while tuning and for those folks these approaches will only make the problem worse.

If it works for someone, more power to you! But if you're getting surprised by seemingly random chokes while playing a comfortable bagpipe your drones may well be tuned too flat.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via AIM to plainspiper

I'm probably with Reed on this one--mostly because I always had to deal with "well we always did it that way" types of comments when I was a pastor with people. Change with adults is very reluctant to happen and that's why I teach kids...I heard the same comments regarding Wygents reeds back in the day and also with zippered bags from lots of people--now those days seem far behind. I would think in 100 years there would be several up and coming things that would be accepted as norms with pipes--one of which I would love to see is air efficient reeds (I mean REALLY efficient) and better valves/moisture traps. You just never know.
plainspiper is online now   Reply With Quote