Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tuning pin hemp leak

Are you hemping the pins the right way? You said after you hemped them up the problem went away, but came back after the hemp compressed. Sounds like the hemp could be high in the middle after you added more, making it wobble and unstable
Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #12
RJB
Forum Member

I've also seen more than one set where the female side of the drone was out of round, making the connection unstable. When you turn to tune, does it become loose, then tight, then loose, etc? Just a WAG.
RJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Steve Law
Forum Regular

With respect to all the valid thoughts earlier, I'd spend some time and make quite sure the hemp was as neat and parallel as I could - the colour is irrelevant, but I always use waxed, and finish by running the drone parts together for a good while to settle the hemp and going back again and checking.... usually find that once that's sorted a small application of cork grease to the slides helps smooth operation.

I bought a new set last year and it did take a little while to settle the hemp, but now it's sorted as above there's no problem.

Hemp is as cheap as chips and it's hard to see how anyone could inadvertently cause a huge problem - too little and the slide will rock and leak, too much and you won't be able to turn with two fingers and thumb.....take some time and work with it - lots less hassle than going back to the factory - although that remains an option if the simple stuff doesn't work
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I always chuckle watching the beginning of the On the Day DVD...where the pipey is seen wrapping yet another few turns of Teflon tape to a tuning pin...
��
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #15
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
With respect to all the valid thoughts earlier, I'd spend some time and make quite sure the hemp was as neat and parallel as I could - the colour is irrelevant, but I always use waxed, and finish by running the drone parts together for a good while to settle the hemp and going back again and checking.... usually find that once that's sorted a small application of cork grease to the slides helps smooth operation.
While this may work, I would only recommend this if you leave your tenor tops on when you pack the pipes away. I take my tops off and wouldn’t want little fuzzies from my case, or hairs and whatnot sticking to my pins or getting grease on the inside of my case after a fresh application.

What I use (and YMMV) is plain real hemp (the white stuff - not linen) with some cobblers was on the first two feet or so to anchor it to the pin. After that, just the hemp and nothing else. I wrap it like Ringo has on his website and get it to where it’s JUST too tight when I put the tops on. After it compresses and smooths out after a day or two, it’s perfect.

Makes me think of the old saying around here, ask 12 different pipers get 15 different answers.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
uncletedly
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I agree with Jim. Real hemp is great for wrapping joints. It comes in one and two plies. I like the single ply on the tuning pins and don't use wax other than cobbler's wax to anchor it. Although it is usually white, it is also available in unbleached which is grey in color. While the black and yellow stuff is sold as "hemp", it is really linen. Real hemp has only become available the last few years and is usually white. It swells less and is less prone to rot than the yellow linen they try to palm off as hemp. Insist on the real deal.

Last edited by uncletedly; 11-22-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
uncletedly is offline   Reply With Quote