Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #61
Laap
Forum Member

Default Re: 3 Lines of hemp to hear the unicorn fluff

You're all good Charlie and yes, it did happen the way I stated.

If there was a formal competition marking guide/standard then none of this would have happened. I can't think of a sound reason for not having such but there you go.

I got such a bashing the first time I competed I never went back, couldn't stand the thought of getting brutalized again. Maybe the wrong attitude but it is what it is.

Now I am more like Fire1035, play for pleasure and entertainment, and because I get paid pretty well to do it.

I only got so precious about this issue because I heard that a hard working enthusiastic kid got a bit of a bashing because of a unicorn fart, and took exception for all those that were soiled by a unicorn fart.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. The hope is that if enough say enough then there may be hope for change. You never know.

What Jack states is a bit interesting as there must be many Naill sets out there.
Laap is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #62
Rob MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

And stories like THIS, children, is why your Uncle Rab is a member of the "Allistair Campsie/William Donaldson/Alan MacDonald of Glenuig" sector of piping....

this reminds me of the old story of (I believe it was) William Ross and the competition judge he described as "some wee man in a boweler hat"

Point the lad at the Lowland and Border Piper's Society, where such nonsense is(as yet) unheard of!

Last edited by Rob MacDonald; 12-04-2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: there's always one dam' thing you forgot to add....
Rob MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #63
Laap
Forum Member

You'r a funny man Rob. I think I could enjoy emptying a bottle or 2 with you while swapping war stories.
I will send your advice over to him.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #64
Garry
Forum Member

Did all this amount a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing? Then again is there something in it after all? Perhaps the judge should have said there is a certain je ne sais quoi about the hemping position I don't think the youngies will follow this thread, or worse may find it amusing that there is such a position. Esoteric may be misinterpreted as erotic. Perhaps we all should have a drink!!!
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #65
Laap
Forum Member

Gary, Who knows.

As has been pointed out by quite a few in this thread, seeing the hemp is irrelevant to the quality of the tone so to this end, the exercise has been productive.

The judge should have just focused on the sound that was being produced. All would have been well.

I did not start this thread thinking kids would read it and would be very surprised if any do, Can't identify any posts that could have come from kids.

I see you are from over there, are you one of Malcolm's mob?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #66
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Given that not all pipes tune best with 3 lines of hemp, maybe a take home message is for pipers to experiment at home to see where their drones tune best.

Caution: ensure you’re in a well ventilated room while checking this as I have heard that Unicorn fluffs can be quite noxious.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #67
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laap View Post
snip,..........,,,..............
Clearly I need to acknowledge that Paul has way too much experience and knowledge for me to further debate the issues he raises. It seems clear to me also that he is a very experienced PM, something I have also never been. Down here in Hillbill Hell we have limited exposure to the vast wealth of piping experience and knowledge that Paul is drawing from and I will look through the World competition results to get an idea of the depth of his piping awards and credits so I can better view his comments in the appropriate context however, I do not feel it is correct to state "Which is, as I understand it the very thing you whinged about the judge telling your kid.". Snip,,.,
I was going to let this rubbish post pass, until I read this in a follow-up post

"I got such a bashing the first time I competed I never went back, couldn't stand the thought of getting brutalized again. Maybe the wrong attitude but it is what it is."

I've never been a PM nor will I ever be, I've taken the band out when necessary.
Other than thirty odd years of playing, I claim no special knowledge. While I'm not a prolific competitor I did not give up after one bad review, as can be seen from the photo below.

Enough now.

https://scontent.fdub3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7b&oe=5AC9A500
Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #68
Laap
Forum Member

Yep, got a big yellow streak down my back and shamefully bailed.

Hope I can stop other kids from doing the same.

The up side is that I would not have then started making pipes and reeds and playing at paid gigs and earning a living from pipes. Every cloud, eh?

I notice no posts regarding standards and transparency in the judging arena.

We having pity on the unicorns maybe? Maybe there are no standards and the entire pipe judging process is purely subjective perhaps?

Might explain alot.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #69
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Please stop posting.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote