Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #11
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: L&M Non-Zips - any left out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp birl View Post
There are 2 bags and both are "large" I believe.
Too big for puny me then
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

They come up, generally used, sometimes new, on Ebay fairly often.

The old-school plain L&M "elkhide" bags, I mean.

I picked up one a couple years ago and tied it into my backup set.

When I played the pipes wowza!! I was amazed how much moisture it retained. My pipes were soaked. I had got spoiled by years of using sheepskin and Gannaway, where everything stays at a nice controlled moisture level, never too dry, never too wet.

Those L&M Elkhide (chrome-tanned cowhide) bags were bulletproof. I played one bag for, what, 18 years I think. Never seasoned it once, and after 18 years it was still perfectly airtight. Perfect for backup pipes because you know it will not fail.

Back in the 1970s around here everybody played those L&M bags. Our band didn't use covers, it was kinda cool to have the nice velvety dark brown leather showing, back in the day. There's a photo of Triumph Street in 1979 with exposed L&M bags like that.

BTW Michael MacHarg used to make virtually identical bags. You can try contacting him. The problem is IIRC that the chemical used to make chrome-tanned cowhide was banned.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #13
Dave Sanderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

I turned my last L & M hide bag into a sporran, seemed a shame to just throw it away.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sanderson View Post
I turned my last L & M hide bag into a sporran, seemed a shame to just throw it away.
What a nice supple sporran it must be!