Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Soda Shoppe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soda Shoppe For young pipers, drummers, and others not quite old enough for the beer tent.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #21
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Re: Tenor-dominant Hendersons?

Of course, Jim, you're definitely right. (or as my girlfriend Deborah says, "Debbie-Deb-Definitely" right). Reeds make an immense difference no doubt. However, I have heard that the bore is responsible for the majority of the sound, especially harmonics. I.e. It is difficult to make a Naills sound like a Henderson harmonically speaking.
Michael Kazmierski Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #22
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here is a recording of the same set of drones with 9 different sets of reeds. I didn't record this to make a point, I was curious about the result. There was no effort made to set up the reeds for optimal sound. The method was to put the reed set in, tune to the same reference pitch and record a few seconds. This was all done in about 5 minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/pipermccain/9reeds
Old 11-30-2015, 05:02 AM   #23
pipernz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
Here is a recording of the same set of drones with 9 different sets of reeds. I didn't record this to make a point, I was curious about the result. There was no effort made to set up the reeds for optimal sound. The method was to put the reed set in, tune to the same reference pitch and record a few seconds. This was all done in about 5 minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/pipermccain/9reeds
Nice work! Illustrated well. Any chance of listing out what they were in order?
pipernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #24
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

You bet: The first drone set are a mixed set of Rockets that I've used in these drones in the past (carbon bass, glass tenors). 2nd set are Cannings. 3rd are Crozier Carbon. 4th set are new glass Rockets (don't know what spec). 5th set are old glass Rockets (spec'd for older Henderson bore). 6th are Kinnaird original. 7th are MG. 8th - Kinnaird Evolution. 9th - Selbie.

I've posted this file before. Hope nobody minds the re-repeat.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #25
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
You bet: The first drone set are a mixed set of Rockets that I've used in these drones in the past (carbon bass, glass tenors). 2nd set are Cannings. 3rd are Crozier Carbon. 4th set are new glass Rockets (don't know what spec). 5th set are old glass Rockets (spec'd for older Henderson bore). 6th are Kinnaird original. 7th are MG. 8th - Kinnaird Evolution. 9th - Selbie.

I've posted this file before. Hope nobody minds the re-repeat.
Don't mind the repeat all -- thank you for re-posting. Those reeds all sound quite distinct and appear to maintain the 'family-characteristic' tone, i.e., Rockets sound like Rockets, Kinnairds sound like Kinnairds. I was surprised at which ones I liked and disliked, comparatively-speaking.

What I'd really like to know is how a cane reed would sould like up against this cohort. Can you make any assumptions as to which reeds would line up closest, John?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #26
pipernz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Thanks John.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #27
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPark View Post

What I'd really like to know is how a cane reed would sould like up against this cohort. Can you make any assumptions as to which reeds would line up closest, John?
I play cane drone reeds for 3-4 months a year so I have a tiny bit of experience with them.

It's a difficult question to answer because cane doesn't sound the same from one reed/reedset to another.

But I have a recording I haven't posted of cane drone reeds in another Henderson influenced bore and it sounds remarkably like set #1 in the 9 reeds post. If there's any interest I can post it.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #28
pipernz
Forum Regular

Quote:
It's a difficult question to answer because cane doesn't sound the same from one reed/reedset to another.

But I have a recording I haven't posted of cane drone reeds in another Henderson influenced bore and it sounds remarkably like set #1 in the 9 reeds post. If there's any interest I can post it.
Agree cane van vary quite a bit from reed to reed. Maybe a comparison between 10 sets of cane. Then there's also the variability of the reed set up itself to mould the characteristics you want.

I like set one. Interesting how they sound so different by comparison to your other Rocket sets. But yeah understand they might be spec'd differently.

Edit: I'd be interested to hear the other recording.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #29
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

John, As regards the brand of pipes you used, my first guess would be Hendersons, if not Hardie, maybe Kron Heritage. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the recording due to me having to work on a 200-word paper for one of my classes, and writing papers is a major weak point of mine, especially having to make it 200 words when you may have the entire kit and kabootle covered in only 100 words it's dang frustrating. I'm sure I'll get to it after it's due - as we all know, listening to pipes all day in the dorm will get you nowhere. I'd rather not disclose the subject of the paper for running the risk of being too off topic. I was just saying that I'm afraid I can't listen to it right now, but I'll chime in when I do. I may even email Deborah and I'll post what she thinks so you can get an idea from a superlatively musical yet non-piping perspective - she does know bass-dom versus tenor-dom.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #30
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Regarding my last post; just a slight correction: I meant to say 2000 words rather than 200 words regarding what is keeping me from listening to the recording. Again I am very, very sorry for rambling off topic.