Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
JohnE
Forum Silver Medal

Default "New" Husk Reeds

I am not one to write reviews or give product promotions but in this case I have to make an exception.

I (we) have been using Shawn Husk's chanter reeds for a couple of years now and while they were good reeds, they played well and were fairly easy to get tuned they were not particularly special. Recently I contacted Shawn about an issue with some of the reeds in the last order and he told me that he had a completely new design and that we should try it. He sent a batch out and to my ears they are fantastic. They are still ridge cut but the profile has changed a bit. The first thing that they went in were poly McCallum band chanters. The top hand is bright and not thin in the least. The F's were excellent or perhaps a hair sharp and very stable. The bottom is rich. To my surprise, the same was true in a ABW Nail and laminate Kyo chanters.

While I am certainly no expert, I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to the mechanics side of piping and have dabbled a bit in reed making. In my humble opinion Shawn has a winner here. The first two dozen were consistently excellent. The band has not played them long enough to comment on longevity so time will tell there.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say about these as he gets them in wider distribution.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: "New" Husk Reeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
... To my surprise, the same was true in a ABW Nail and laminate Kyo chanters.
Similar to you I play ABW Nail and ABW Colin Kyo chanters along with a poly McCallum. Over the past few years I've settled into Chesney Warnock reeds for all three chanters. I'll be very anxious to try Shawn's new reeds. Like you I found Shawn's original reeds were easy to tune and sounded good but didn't knock my socks off so to speak.

Shawn, I'm sure you'll see this. Do you have a time frame for releasing the new reeds to the public? Thank you!
Save
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
JohnE
Forum Silver Medal

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...ight=husk+reed
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've just had a go at 1 of the 4 I got from Shawn. It doesn't really get anymore plug and play than that.

One thing I really appreciate about Shawn's reeds is that they hold their strength. Not just day to day but during the session as moisture is accumulated. I don't order from him often because I'm still using reeds he sent me years ago, seriously.

Tested in a new Colin Kyo chanter.

A little bit of advice, wait about a month so my band mates' can get their orders in first.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
MacGiollaEoin
Forum Regular

I just got a couple of the New Husk reeds, and plug-n-play sums it up. I play a c.1997 Shepherd ABW chanter with 1960 Hardie drones, and I can't ever remember having a better reed than this one. The scale is so true I have zero tape on the chanter. And the overtones are amazing.

I play Clan Campbell's Gathering in competition, so I need a great piobaireachd high A. This reed gives a clear, sweet piobaireachd high A that makes me smile.

I thought the last Husk reed I had was amazing. This thing, though, is altogether grand.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

I'd agree with these statements. The new (not so new now) reed design is fantastic. Bright, bold and vibrant. Oh, and extremely stable. The Piob High G was bang on without having to move the tape, a bonus for a ridge cut.

Well done, Shawn!
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Keith Jeffers
Forum Regular

The new version of Shawn's reeds are phenomenal. They are as consistent as you will find. They work in virtually every chanter I put them in.

I only use two brands of chanter reeds, Husk and Abbott. Both have everything I desire in a reed. I try to keep a sample of everything on the reed market on hand. These are the two I reach for when I want to test a chanter.
Keith Jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Sounds A++++++ for me. Will be ordering a few for my students eventually as well.
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

They are indeed great reeds, very bright, crisp, and LOUD!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Played my pipes today for a wedding in 30C heat and 75% humidity. The reed didn't budge, stable for almost 3 hours of off and on playing.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote