Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Blowpipe valves

OK I'm wondering what anyone has done in making your own blowpipe valves. I have used the regular flapper and hated that, and then I got the Little Mac and its gotten hard so needs to be replaced. Im wondering if anyone has fixed them using ?
plainspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: blow pipe valves

along those lines, I've been thinking about modifying the little mac I have or creating something to fit a duck valve, but didn't know if its been tried and failed. I get tired of handing out $$$ for parts all the time when I have so many pipes.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipingpastormark View Post
OK I'm wondering what anyone has done in making your own blowpipe valves. I have used the regular flapper and hated that, and then I got the Little Mac and its gotten hard so needs to be replaced. Im wondering if anyone has fixed them using ?
You might have realized this already. I had a moose valve..phenomenal 110% tight seal....but had to remove it about 7/8 yrs ago when I reverted to using a tube trap. So I installed a good ‘old’ rubber ( silicon?) flapper instead.... 105% airtight.
In my stash I keep coming across the ‘real’ old leather flapper I chuckle about maybe installing again to snow the newbies. I cut this in mid ‘80’s from a shoe heel bed liner...nice dense thin leather smooth polished one side and sueded the other. ( get these at a shoe repair shop..cheap) . But I’d agree..the silicon flapper is ( just) a little better IMO.

Anyway ..my irk about lil Mac valves....1970’s technology ..(1) they are normally smaller i.d. than a modern blowstick bore....so a bit restrictive; (2) they require the blowstick wood to be irreplaceabley taper reamed larger to install....making the bore end just about too large to not ever be able to use a flapper again.

Cut once...think twice....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I'm making a silicone rubber flapper myself, just took rubber caulking and spread it out on the counter. Then am going to razor blade a nice flat piece and try that. Seth Hamon had some cool blow valves he invented too, but there were issues again with having to ream things out to fit them. Basically a tapered tube with rubbery plasticky stuff that flaps open. They DO work though. Got them on my shuttles and firesides.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

I INVENTED SOMETHING!!!

I took some Gorilla duct tape and folded it over on itself, then razor bladed a new flapper for my Little Mac. It works perfect. Was not easy to cut out but I'm convinced duct tape/duck tape can fix anything now...

I AM though going to try the silicone sheet thing too.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Blowpipe valves

FWIW, if you're using a Li'l Mac, you can replace just the rubber bit- not expensive.

…OR, You can make your own silicone rubber valves by spreading some silicone tub-and-tile or window caulk between two sheets of wax paper and roll it out flat and thin.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 03-24-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

yep I did see that....but I'm cheap (sure there's some scot in the background my wife says...) and didn't want to pay five bucks for that little thingy...still trying to find a small duck valve that I could try as well...
Old 03-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

thats exactly what I had in mind but I just spread it out on the formica at the school kitchen (why ruin mine?)..but the real gem for me in that page was how he used a pipe and made it into his cutter--I think I can fashion one just like the regular little mac has with putting one pipe inside the other and notching the inside pipe to leave a ring plus a flap.

Also here is my other idea...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OKFCVC...a-379223990564

I want to take one of those that would fit right in the mac valve and see if it would have enough give and be large enough to seal as well. You can get silicone ones at Target for breast pumps...now if I could just find where my wifey put that thing...
Old 03-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

..way easier to call Pipers Hut and order 1-2 replacement flappers...and other odd bits to get ‘free’ postage
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
plainspiper
Forum Silver Medal

yes it would be....but I'm "one of those guys" always trying to re-invent the wheel..

Instead of just buying flappers I'd spend 10 bucks for 5 duck valves and find out they don't work worth a crap...but if they did....Edison had to start somewhere.... LOL