Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Competition Results
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competition Results Post and discuss competition results here.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
Chris Hamilton

Default 1984 Worlds Program

Does anyone have a copy of the World Pipe Band Championships program / order of play for 1984 ?

I have come into possession of a cassette tape of the Grade One MSRs, which I am digitizing. However, there is no identification of the bands. Just one MSR after another.

???

Chris
Old 03-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
The Captain
Forum Regular

Default Re: 1984 Worlds Program

Hi Chris...I have the 1984 World's program.

The order is

Toyota, Clan MacFarlane, Vale of Atholl, Lothian and Borders Police, Richmond Avenue SA( was this the year they were not permitted to play?), Boghall, B. Cal, Cullybackey, Ayr Society, Shotts, Wallacetown, McNeillstown, 78th Frasers, RUC, Dysart, Woolmet Danderhall, Polkemmet, Babcock Renfrew, Strathclyde Police, Royal Scots Dragoon Guards...

Ken
The Captain\'s Corner
Old 03-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Chris Hamilton

Thanks, Ken!

So far as I can tell, the first band on my cassette is Clan MacFarlane (did you play Highland Wedding / Bogan Lochan / Pretty Marion? Seems like a likely Cal set!) and the rest are kind of falling into place, but I'm only up through the tenth performance on the tape (and I think that one must be McNeillstown based on their good sound) ...

Chris
Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Chris Hamilton

Okay, 11th band is without question the Frasers (Argyllshire Gathering / Cameronian Rant / John Morrison set plus their unmistakable ensemble sound).

So it appears that my tape is missing Toyota, and Richmond Avenue did not play. So far ...

Chris
Old 03-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Chris Hamilton

The band and tune list that I've gleaned / guessed from the recording and your order of play ...

MSR:

Missing (Toyota) -- ??

#01 (Clan MacFarlane) -- Highland Wedding; Bogan Lochan; Pretty Marion.

#02 (Vale of Atholl) -- The Young MacGregor; Maggie Cameron; Major David Manson.

#03 (Lothian & Borders Police) -- Dugald MacColl's Farewell to France; Caledonian Society of London; Thomson's Dirk.

Missing / Scratch / DQ (Richmond Avenue) -- ??

#04 (Boghall & Bathgate) -- Lord Alexander Kennedy; Bob of Fettercairn; Brown Haired Maid.

#05 (British Caledonian Airways) -- Donald Cameron; Blair Drummond; John Morrison of Assynt House.

#06 (Culleybackey) -- Donald Cameron; Captain Colin Campbell; Major David Manson.

#07 (Ayr Society) -- Highland Wedding; Arniston Castle; Captain Lachlan MacPhail of Tiree.

#08 (Shotts & Dykehead) -- Donald Cameron; Cameronian Rant; Pretty Marion.

#09 (Wallacestone) -- Royal Scottish Pipers Society; Ewe With the Crooked Horn; Pretty Marion.

#10 (McNeillstown) -- The Conundrum; Maggie Cameron; Captain Lachlan MacPhail of Tiree.

#11 (78th Fraser Highlanders) -- Argyllshire Gathering; Cameronian Rant; John Morrison of Assynt House.

#12 (Royal Ulster Constabulary) -- Lord Alexander Kennedy; Maggie Cameron; MacKay From Skye.

#13 (Dysart & Dundonald) -- Argyllshire Gathering; Shepherd’s Crook; Lt Col DJS Murray.

#14 (Woolmet Danderhall) -- Highland Wedding; Inverary Castle; Smith of Chilliechassie.

#15 (Polkemmet) -- Links of Forth; Bogan Lochan; Mrs. MacPherson of Inveran.

#16 (Babcock Renfrew) – The Clan MacColl; Inverary Castle; Mrs. MacPherson of Inveran.

#17 (Strathclyde Police – The Links of Forth; Bogan Lochan; McAllister’s Dirk.

Missing (Royal Scots Dragoon Guards) -- ??

MEDLEY:

Dysart & Dundonald -- medley starts with "Accordian Man"

Unknown -- medley contains "Mallorca", "Una McIntyre", "Dora Watt", and "The Pony Gallop" among others.

Unknown -- medley contains "Rose Among the Heather", "The Silver Spear", "The Haunting", "Crossing the Minch", among others.

Can you verify this info and shed any light on who the unknown medley bands might be?

Chris
Old 03-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
JFE
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Unknown -- medley contains "Rose Among the
Heather", "The Silver Spear", "The Haunting", "Crossing the Minch", among others.

I couldn't tell without listening to the drum scores but it sounds like it could have been British Caledonian Airways.

Jim
JFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
The Captain
Forum Regular

Quote:
MEDLEY:

Dysart & Dundonald -- medley starts with "Accordian Man"

Unknown -- medley contains "Mallorca", "Una McIntyre", "Dora Watt", and "The Pony Gallop" among others.

Unknown -- medley contains "Rose Among the Heather", "The Silver Spear", "The Haunting", "Crossing the Minch", among others.
Hi Chris...confirm the sets for you...all OK...except Strathclyde lists the Strathspey as Atholl Cummers.

The Medleys - McNeillstown beginning with the Accordion Man and B. Cal with the Rose, Silver Spear, etc...the Mallorca medley isn't listed, so the band obviously changed things prior to the main event...we did this all the time in the 78th.....but Una McIntyre is listed with Ayr..and the Pony Gallop is the last tune in the Boghall selection...

Ken
The Captain\'s Corner
Old 03-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Nick_MacKavelly
Forum Gold Medal

So why didn't Richmond Avenue play? Or rather, why weren't they allowed?
Nick_MacKavelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
grant.harbison
Forum Regular

OT question: Ken, are Atholl Cummers and Bogan Lochan the same tune?
grant.harbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
Nick_MacKavelly
Forum Gold Medal

Grant:

It all depends on the "C" (or "B")

Hehe...
Nick_MacKavelly is offline   Reply With Quote