Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 AM   #1
Piping Potential
Forum Member

Default Flat E on RJM Chanter

I have Roddy MacLeod's RJM chanter in ABW and I ordered 2 Troy reeds for it because it was my understanding they go the best in this particular chanter. The E is noticeably flat with both reeds. Anyone else with this chanter experience this? Will the problem go away as I blow in the reeds? Any other makes of reed I should try? Any other suggestions before I resort to carving the chanter?
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Flat E on RJM Chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piping Potential View Post
I have Roddy MacLeod's RJM chanter in ABW and I ordered 2 Troy reeds for it because it was my understanding they go the best in this particular chanter. The E is noticeably flat with both reeds. Anyone else with this chanter experience this? Will the problem go away as I blow in the reeds? Any other makes of reed I should try? Any other suggestions before I resort to carving the chanter?
Not everyone agrees with this, so take it or leave it ... my last resort (before carving) for a flat note is to tape down the low A somewhat.

This will bring your overall pitch down some, which then makes the notes above the low A sharper in comparison. So the most likely and "ideal" result would be that you'll need to add tape to B, C, and D (possibly some others as well, though usually less as you go up the scale), and E would then be in tune without tape. If the E ends up needing any tape, then you've put too much on the low A. Remove some.

With some chanters, I have definitely run into this from time to time, ie., individual flat notes. For me, it's most often C. I've often found that the problem comes and goes as a reed is played in. But this is likely to vary from reed to reed, and chanter to chanter.

Again, different strokes, different folks. When someone first suggested taping the low A to me, I thought they were bonkers. If they were, well, now so am I.

Best of luck, please let us know how you make out.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Previous post, again, is my last resort before carving. There are other things you could try, involving the reed. But, assuming the rest of your scale sounds good to you, you might not want to futz with the reed. Sinking the reed some would certainly bring up the E, but then your F, hG and hA are likely to need way more tape, and with hG in particular you're going to want to avoid tape as much as possible.

I don't have it handy at the immediate moment, but Chris Apps' little guide book about reed adjustments is a great thing to have on hand. Lots of good suggestions on where/how to shave/sand a reed depending on your needs. Might think about picking that up, well worth having it around.

All the best,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not everyone agrees with this, so take it or leave it ... my last resort (before carving) for a flat note is to tape down the low A somewhat.
[/I][/B]

Yes, our band does this (I was initially taken aback as I had never seen this done), our Tone Guy is top notch. Beats carving holes if you don't have to.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

JT2 or McAllister? McAllister model of Troy reeds is what I had success with, but that was correcting a flat D, not E. You’ve ensured there are no obstructions in the bore?

Do not carve the E until you’ve tried other brands of reeds for sure. The RJM chanter has changed since last I tried it.

C# and F# are the usual flat notes that sharpen as a reed is blown in. I cannot remember a time when I had a flat E, so I can’t say if it will sharpen or not.

Tape low A for sure to start, along with the balancing act of pulling the reed out to minimize tape on high G and high A wile simulataneously making sure the E isn’t getting too flat.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Try different reeds before you carve. Troys are good, but I've had better success with Shepherd straight cut, Husk, G1 (Platinum and copper) and Chesney in my RJM.

Carve if you have a consistent flat note after trying multiple reeds that are well balanced otherwise.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Piping Potential
Forum Member

It hadn't occurred to me to tape LA but that does sound like the best solution for now at least. Will try it tonight. Will also order another couple reeds for it assuming I can find a supplier who has one of these chanters on hand to test. Thanks ya'll!
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Chris Apps

Your reed may have a mouth that's too open. This will cause the E to be flat. Try squeezing the blades of the reed together and see if the E comes back into line.

Chris
Old 11-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
Potsdam
Forum Member

When talking to Jamie Troy about the same problem, he recommended giving the reed a shave on the soundbox.
These chanters are very reactive to blowing (particularly the E). Jamie's advice was to "free the reed a touch so that you could get on top of the blowing."

Cheers
Ross

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Potsdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Exactly...that reed is not blown in enough...when it gets there you'll see it level out on the E.