Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
garetht81
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default September solos in Scotland?

Heading to Scotland in September for a holiday and thought I might have a go at some solos, D grade.
I havenít found much when looking online, can anybody recommend some fun competitions on this time of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garetht81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: September solos in Scotland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetht81 View Post
Heading to Scotland in September for a holiday and thought I might have a go at some solos, D grade.
I havenít found much when looking online, can anybody recommend some fun competitions on this time of year?

The rspba site didnít have an events calender?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
garetht81

As far as I can see thatís only for bands, am I missing something?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetht81 View Post
I haven’t found much when looking online, can anybody recommend some fun competitions on this time of year?

We don't have a D grade in Scotland for Solos, some would say that would be Amateur, that would mean The CLASP...not to be confused with "THE Clasp"

You might want to take a look at http://theclasp.co.uk to see if you would qualify for that, you'd need to be graded (send a recording).

In CLASP there is a competition in Inverness at the very end of August, it's a great couple of days as you could also see the big competitions when you weren't playing yourself.

First thing I think would be to see where you would be best suited to play in Scotland, whether it's CLASP or Open. Do you have an instructor that could advise, perhaps? There would be more games etc. in September if you were playing in Open/C grade. The CPA will be releasing a guide to the games in a few weeks but you can find them with a bit of digging online.

Last edited by Bluescottygirl; 02-19-2018 at 09:39 PM. Reason: small tweak to layout
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #5
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Saturday 1 September will see CLASP (Competition League for Amateur Solo Pipers) events at Chatsworth, Derbyshire. Yes, I know it is in England but it's only a three hour drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh which I would think for someone from Australia is no distance at all. (Or of course if you are flying in to London and timings coincide, it might be possible to incorporate on the journey north).
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
Saturday 1 September will see CLASP (Competition League for Amateur Solo Pipers) events at Chatsworth, Derbyshire. Yes, I know it is in England but it's only a three hour drive from Glasgow or Edinburgh which I would think for someone from Australia is no distance at all. (Or of course if you are flying in to London and timings coincide, it might be possible to incorporate on the journey north).
I didn't mention this as the OP asked for Scotland but I'd agree, it's no great hardship to get to Chatsworth. I played Inverness then jumped on an early flight and played Chatsworth the following day. Both days are quite relaxed and you can stick around Chatsworth on the Sunday and enjoy the Open events and the fayre.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Neil Clark

Pitlochry is usually around the 10th, nice relaxed comp, no piobaireachd, but a well paying 6/8 comp. If you want to catch the last one, Invercharron is a fun wee competition, prides itself on being the last outdoor of the year. Past Tain, and on a bit! 3rd Sat in Sep I think. Plus theres always Braemar, but remember you'll need to submit 8 Piobaireachd....

Just read yer grade... actually, theres nothing to stop you entering any of the above, but you'd learn much more entering the CLASP... you'll need to submit an audition to the NPC as well though. Have fun!
Neil Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:44 AM   #8
garetht81

Many thanks for all the suggestions, the latest I can find is September 15th which I wonít be able to make. Maybe next time.