Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #31
Gary Guth
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Poly Pipes VS Wood?

The difference between Poly and Wood is equity. Bagpipes are not an expense. They are an investment. Most bagpipers will buy 1 set of pipes in their lifetime. Over a period of time because bagpipes aren't super-ceded by new models like TV's and Radios, they appreciate in value. I purchased a set of Granger & Campbell pipes back in 1977. I paid $850.00 for them. I sold them 3 years ago for $2300.00. They were African Blackwood and had Ivory Projecting Mounts. If this set had been poly I know for sure that I wouldn't have received the same return. The secret is making sure that you baby them. Don't leave them anywhere where you wouldn't leave your dog!

Just my humble opinion from life's experience.
Gary Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Guth View Post

I purchased a set of Granger & Campbell pipes back in 1977. I paid $850.00 for them. I sold them 3 years ago for $2300.00.
Not a good investment:

QUOTE: $2907.78 in the year 2007 has the same "purchase power" as $850 in the year 1977. ENDQUOTE

http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/index.php
Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #33
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Not a good investment:

QUOTE: $2907.78 in the year 2007 has the same "purchase power" as $850 in the year 1977. ENDQUOTE

Bad analogy bob as usual. With your little index what would he have gotten if he had bought a poly set? At best he would get what? $600 today? What purchase power was that? He made the right choice if you are comparing the two and that is what this thread is about.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #34
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Bad analogy bob as usual. With your little index what would he have gotten if he had bought a poly set? At best he would get what? $600 today? What purchase power was that? He made the right choice if you are comparing the two and that is what this thread is about.
I'm sure you meant some word other than analogy, curt, because I didn't make one.

Even assuming your assertion is true about the present value of a set of used poly pipes, it doesn't help the discussion any, because you haven't told us how much a set of poly pipes would have cost in 1977. Duh. If they would have cost $175, then he'd be a lot better off, from a purely financial standpoint.

Buy it for what it is and how you'll use it and you'll be a lot better off than buying it for what it might be worth to some other person 30 years from now.

There's one aspect of this whole poly vs. wood thing that I've been thinking about recently -- with poly pipes there is never any doubt that your bores are true.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #35
Celtic Mitch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryAuxiliarist View Post
Hi there. What is the difference? Do they both sound good?
Wow, look who's back...it's Alex the piper or is it bass drummer or is it tenor drummer. Didn't someone on these forums feel sorry for you and SEND you a set of FREE pipes? What did you do with them????
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #36
AFMPiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I took a year off for school and gave them back to my sponsor so another student could use them.
AFMPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #37
Celtic Mitch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryAuxiliarist View Post
I took a year off for school and gave them back to my sponsor so another student could use them.
Interesting
Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #38
larry_piper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Not a good investment:

While I don't think I'd go to Gary for investment advice (sorry, Gary), the question if ABW or poly holds value better can be addressed in his example. Adjusting for inflation, $1 then is worth about $3.40 today. Full value on $850 is $2,908 and he got $2,300, so he recovered nearly 80% of his original cost. Obviously, a lot of variables are at play here, but this isn't bad for a used object.

We don't know what a comparable poly transaction is because no one has posted a comparable poly transaction. I would suggest no one has posted a poly comparable because there is minimal market for 30 year old poly pipes. Yes, there were fewer poly pipe makers in 1977, if any, so we'll just have to wait and see how well those 1995 Dunbar P0s hold up. Until then, 80% resale value > 0% and the point has support.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
JRM
Holy smoking keyboard!

From what I've seen in various trading posts and internet listings over the past few years, it appears that most people expect to get very close to full value for used poly Dunbars. They don't come up for resale often.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #40
TStephens
Forum Gold Medal

Regardless of how they hold value, poly pipes are heavier, they don't seem to balance as well on the shoulder, and there is something much more organic and satisfying about a beautiful piece of wood than a piece of plastic. Yes, poly pipes have a true bore, poly stocks don't crack from moisture, the plastic doesn't shrink and swell with moisture and temperature. But they are just plain utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that, but I love the aesthetics of real wood. I don't like plastic practice chanters, and I don't like plastic pipes.

I have cocobolo fireside pipes, and I love looking at the wood grain. They are beautiful, and it makes me happy every time I pick them up. People look at them and remark on their beauty. People spend huge amounts of money on cars, paying a lot for the image they want. I'm different. last time I went car shopping, I took a list of criteria I wanted in the car, and went shopping until I found something that fit my list of criteria. Aesthetics, style, color were not an issues, as long as it wasn't obnoxious. A car is just a machine to get me from one place to another. The pipes, though, are about art and I personally want something that has intrinsic beauty for my own pleasure in handling and playing them.
TStephens is offline   Reply With Quote