Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
banjoguy
Forum Member

Default Kitchen Pipes

I am researching kitchen Pipes as a birthday gift for my son.
I have no experience with the products available, and, I am not sure of their practicality.
I am not a piper, and would appreciate any input from you.
My son has been a piper for 3 years, and (I think) would benefit from the option of practicing at home.
So far,, I am leaning towards the"Kitchen Pipe" featuring the Dunbar Millenium 2000 chanter. Any opinions, or recommendations?
Thanks for reading my post.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Kitchen Pipes

I've heard good things about tone and playability from a pal who bought from Universe of Bagpipes.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
olypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I know a couple of people with the kitchen pipes from Piper's Choice, and both of them have switched from the practice chanter reeds for the drones to the ones Set Hamon makes. The PC reeds require a lot more air to play than the ones Seth makes, which are more traditional single blade reeds. This has greatly improved the stability and playability of the kitchen pipes. The sound is alright. They are a great place to start in the world of smallpipes. Neither one of my friends has the Dunbar chanter, but I am sure that would be an upgrade. I would also think that getting a smallpipe chanter reed, or expiramenting with reeds for the chanter, you might get some better tone out of the chanter.

I set both of them up with the new reeds, and got them dialed in for them. I had quite a bit of fun playing them while doing that.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
d_lairson
Forum Regular

I have an OLD set of "kitchen pipes" (practice pipes, really) from bagpipes galore. They were purchased in 2003 and are still running strong. They are honestly just a goose with drones and a full size practice chanter. They came with drone reeds much like smaller versions of bagpipe drone reeds. I replaced the reed that came with them (several times) most recently with a apps practice chanter reed. It works and sounds very good.

I've been playing the pipes since 89 and I still love to play these when I can. I can play them in the bedroom and not bother my wife who's watching tv.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

I've been playing with a set of Gibson Fireside Pipes They can be in either A or Bp depending upon how they are ordered. I find them very useful indoors for many purposes. link to Henderson Group & their short guide;http://www.hendersongroupltd.com/lib...s_fireside.asp

This is not an endorsement but just a way to explore other offerings.

Cheers.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Why stop at kitchen pipes, as good as they might be for what they are, when you can get of a basic set of smallpipes from a reputable maker? I would say the latter would offer your son far more versatility and better sound without big pipes volume.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoguy View Post

My son has been a piper for 3 years, and (I think) would benefit from the option of practicing at home.
I have smallpipes made by Duncan Soutar. They're fun to play, but they don't really substitute for practice on Highland Bagpipes.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

I would suggest asking your son what he thinks first, might be he would prefer something else.

I know a lot more people (myself included) who bought practice-, shuttle-, fireside-, or small pipes and never particularly enjoyed playing them and ended up getting rid of them.

Just a thought.
Randy Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
snowbear
Forum Silver Medal

I had a similar pipe once. It really was fun to play in front of the telly or whenever I felt like it. They were easy to play and required little or no tuning. To me, they gave a boost in practice since it was so easy to just sit down and play (even for just 10 minutes). Mine did not have the best sound, but still great fun.

I later on got a border pipe, but that's a bit pricy for just practicing at home. I would get a kitchen pipe or a nicely priced smallpipe. There is a world of different pipes out there. When I look for an instrument (pipes, guitar, etc.) I look for something that makes me smile. It's supposed to be fun.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Different price point but you might also consider smallpipes or technopipes.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote