Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #21
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipe bag issues...blowpipe angle is bad

I have a medium Canmore bag I'd be willing to send you if you cover shipping. I'm not sure how old it is, but it seemed to be airtight when I pulled it off of a set of pipes.
Jim Fogelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #22
njespers
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I had a WMC for a bit. I am 6' and wear a 34" sleeve length. Nice bag for all the right reasons...except for me it seemed seemed 'short' ...IIRC the blowstick is a bit more forward,thus shortening the neck about an 1".....so I felt I was holding my hands back ala a T-Rex. I had to change to a regular bannatyne bag and was more comfortable.

Curious.....What is your usual sleeve length?

Just saw your question. My sleeve is 36".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
njespers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 PM   #23
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

Just set up a new set of McCallum/MacRaes today with a Canmore ext. small hybrid for a student. Out of the box the blowpipe sat at just the right spot, no cord, no problems. Same as with the last three I've had. (No problem with the bags, just three sets of pipes!)
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 AM   #24
b4gp1p3r
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I was having similar problems to yourself. I found that experimenting with the position you hold the bag under the arm can make a difference and it can take a bit of practice striking up the pipes to ensure you are consistently placing the bag in the same way.

I also noticed that a lot of pipers tend to have the bag sitting at an angle under their arm with the front of the bag (chanter) sitting a good bit higher than the back. The way I achieved was to get a shorter blowpipe. An extendable blowpipe is a good way of experimenting with this. RG Hardie make very good extendable blowpipes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
b4gp1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #25
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGlasgow View Post
... pipers shouldn't have to discard the lovely blackwood blowstick that came with thrir pipes in favour of s bendy plastic blow stick(like i did) it's just daft...
Pipers Choice make an adjustable (i.e. bendy) blowpipe stock, which would work fine with your prized/preferred blowpipe.

It has a ball joint in the middle, and can be fine tuned to just about any angle.
Randy Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:38 AM   #26
KenGlasgow
Forum Regular

Just to update my situation...
I bought a ross suede extended small bag, with ross moisture control system, ordered from the college of piping in glasgow(very good service) arrived this afternoon, two weeks in the post UK to Japan.
Nicely boxed up, well parceled.

I spent the afternoon unboxing everything, then taking the drones out my 2007 canmore synthetic bag.
At first, i wanted to take the drones out the bag without resorting to cutting the canmore bag collars, but after an hour or so trying to use soap, vaseline etc to manipulate the drones out the bag i gave up and had to cut the canmore collars off the drones... Better to lose the old canmore bag than crack one of thr stocks.

So after taking the five stocks out, labeling them as per the ross install instructions and youtube setup video, i connected up the hoses, used a little vaseline to fit the drones, chanter stock etc. Without taping anything, i'll do that after I've tested and am 100% happy with the setup...

i just did a very quick test run(i can't play the pipes in my flat), i ran thtough a couple of tunes and.... its like night and day!
The ross suede bag feels like a real musical instrument, it keeps its shape, the blow pipe collar, the way the drones are quite slanted back, the bag neck... using the moisture control system plastic hose to direct blowpipe air to the back of the bag... wow, night and day...
Coming off the synthetic which when not inflated has zero shape or support... so far thr ross suede is different class... and the red colour looks great too... i'd love to keep my bag cover off, but i think I'll put it on as an extra bit of protection for the bag

To sum up, so far, amazing, anyone playing with a light 'shapeless' synthetic bag, do yourself a favour and get onto leather or suede... I'm going to post a follow up in s week or so after playing them a bit more. But do far Ross suede extended small: well done that company!
KenGlasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #27
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to David Corbett Send a message via Yahoo to David Corbett

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGlasgow View Post
the way the drones are quite slanted back,
How far back.. I've always thought they should be pretty much upright. See this pic of Angus McColl as reference.

As opposed to this piper.. whomever she is.. To me, neck of pipes is too high, drones are laid back.. looks bad, subject to whacking door jams and people.. Not to mention, in a massed band (if you play in such), Whack Whack, Whack..

Pictures just for comparison.

Last edited by David Corbett; 07-30-2017 at 09:33 PM.
David Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:23 AM   #28
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Corbett View Post
How far back.. I've always thought they should be pretty much upright. See this pic of Angus McColl as reference.

As opposed to this piper.. whomever she is.. To me, neck of pipes is too high, drones are laid back.. looks bad, subject to whacking door jams and people.. Not to mention, in a massed band (if you play in such), Whack Whack
If we look closely...FWIW...Angus is playing an adjustable blowstick.

IIRC...I've seen a utube vid of that girl...playing pretty well regardless. Otherwise, I concur.

I prefer my blowstick tip to rest right at my lips...like the big Gordon does....so that's how I've got it set / taped on my two seats each with a new Canmore hybrid bag.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:07 AM   #29
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
If we look closely...FWIW...Angus is playing an adjustable blowstick.

IIRC...I've seen a utube vid of that girl...playing pretty well regardless. Otherwise, I concur.

I prefer my blowstick tip to rest right at my lips...like the big Gordon does....so that's how I've got it set / taped on my two seats each with a new Canmore hybrid bag.
Blowpipe length is just as important as blowpipe angle. You can see her blowpipe is too short.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 AM   #30
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Blowpipe length is just as important as blowpipe angle. You can see her blowpipe is too short.
Yes..for sure..by my standard also. But surprisingly some players like this and do well. I have (had) a wee lad of 10 begin learning pipes for several years with me a while back. Today he is a grade 1 soloist and will play in the worlds this month. He played there once prior about 5 yrs ago and his band came home with the championship title . Point being ..while he is now every bit of 6' ...he's still using the ca 8" blowstick he started with on his first pipes in 2010. To my chagrin I might add.

I'd note also ....in the few videos..' the Shepherd way '...the granddaughter has been set up with a way too long blowstick ...by the experts. Go figure.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote