Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 AM   #11
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: LOUD Practice Chanter?

I have an old P. Henderson, Glasgow ABW PC that has a standard bore, but at the bottom it flares out (like a trumpet). It seems a little louder but I don't know if it really is or if it's just different.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Niall123
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I'm new to this site and these forums. I've searched unsuccessfully for the new thread button and finally decided to post a question here where perhaps someone might see it and answer or direct me to where I should post it. My question is about where I might find the music for a tune called (I think) "Mary Flora of Garadh na Monadh" by Sandy Forbes.
Niall123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #13
Triskele

I have limited experience as a beginner (started this past summer), but I'm still happy to give you my observations.

You mention not only wanting volume but also a PC that is an instrument in its own right, so I will speak to both.

Reed seems to be the primary factor for volume. I have tried several reeds including Gibson, Warnock, Walsh, G1, Q1, and Gibson is far and away the loudest. I have heard Abbott reeds are similar in that regard, but I have no personal experience with them. You can also manipulate Gibson reeds with fine grain sandpaper to make them easier to blow if they are too strong for you. Just don't overdo it or they may shut off too easily. If you sand off too much, you can snip a bit off the top to make it stronger again.

I started with a Naill long ABW PC. I wanted to like it, I really did. However, I was never happy with getting anywhere near to a "true scale." No matter which reed I used, certain notes were ridiculously sharp or flat. The Gibson reed with it got the closest to a true scale, but came up short as well. I'm not trying to trash Naill, as I have read many positive reviews of them, but this is just my experience.

Once I switched to a Gibson long ABW PC, I was really happy with the scale being true (with the Gibson reed). The tunes sound great with notes never sounding sharp or flat and it is LOUD. When I play with my beginners class, I clearly stand out, which is sometimes a good thing and sometimes not I noticed that I can bring the volume down a bit if I want by placing a soft hand towel on my knee and then resting the PC on that.

One of my classmates has a Gibson long POLY PC with Gibson reed, and it sounds quite nice I think, but I do prefer my ABW sound. The difference is subtle. It's perhaps a warmer sound? I don't know for sure, but if your PC being an instrument in its own right is important to you, I'd recommend the ABW. I also prefer the feel of the ABW under my fingers compared to poly.

I also have a Blair Digital Chanter. They are expensive, but it is really a fantastic product. I use it in situations where I need to be quiet. You can use earphones when you want to be quiet or you can connect it to sound systems or an acoustic amplifier, etc., if you want to be loud or perform. You can set it to sound like a PC, small pipes, or the GHB. If you decide to get one, seriously shop around online because the price differences between vendors can be dramatic (~$100-$200).
Triskele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
Niall123

I'm new to this site and these forums. I've searched unsuccessfully for the new thread button and finally decided to post a question here where perhaps someone might see it and answer or direct me to where I should post it. My question is about where I might find the music for a tune called (I think) "Mary Flora of Garadh na Monadh" by Sandy Forbes.
Niall123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #15
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall123 View Post

New Posts: Open the "Music" Page (in your case) and look for "New Thread" at top left of the page.

Jenni