Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Head shakers

A number of years ago, my instructor and I were practicing in a parking lot at the local Senior Center. It was on a Sunday when nobody was there. We were playing along, when out of nowhere, this woman comes marching up. She folded her arms and announced, "I've always HATED the bagpipes!" My instructor never missed a beat. He looked her square in the eye, and said, "But they think so highly of YOU!" She stood there a few seconds with her mouth open, then turned around without saying a word and marched off...
Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

A few years ago I was hired by a very large church to play Highland Cathedral with their orchestra. I took the opportunity to show up early for the rehearsal as the sanctuary had good acoustics and I wanted to play an older ABW Kintail chanter that came with my original bagpipe (I was using another chanter for the performance). As I was getting some practice in, some of the musicians arrived early and sat in the pews listening. After I was through, they chatted me up, very interested in the bagpipe, and told me how much they enjoyed listening. One question, though, "Why did you keep putting your hand up on your drones?". Why, between sets I was tuning. "You mean you can tune it?" Shows how much the GHB is an enigma even to other trained musicians. The performance came off quite well.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
A few years ago I was hired by a very large church to play Highland Cathedral with their orchestra. I took the opportunity to show up early for the rehearsal as the sanctuary had good acoustics and I wanted to play an older ABW Kintail chanter that came with my original bagpipe (I was using another chanter for the performance). As I was getting some practice in, some of the musicians arrived early and sat in the pews listening. After I was through, they chatted me up, very interested in the bagpipe, and told me how much they enjoyed listening. One question, though, "Why did you keep putting your hand up on your drones?". Why, between sets I was tuning. "You mean you can tune it?" Shows how much the GHB is an enigma even to other trained musicians. The performance came off quite well.

Cheers -

Wes
I used to teach the pipe and at a local high school. The pipe band would accompany the marching band for parades and the assistant director would always say to me “have them play that one bagpipe song” (StB) while the band was marching along. Apparently he couldn’t be bothered to learn the names of different tunes or recognize that we even played different tunes, I think.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 AM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
"Are there actual songs for the bagpipe, or do you just make it up as you go along?"
Me: "Yeah, we're all so magically psychic that 20 of us can make it up as we go along and be in unison."
The head-shakingest part is when a comment like that comes from somebody with a Doctorate in Music!!

The background is that I used to play in a dance band that played a number of Bulgarian dance tunes. As many of you might know, Bulgarian folk dances occur in rhythms that seem strange to non-Bulgarians, but which in Bulgaria are as commonplace as the jig and reel are in Scotland.

These Bulgarian dance idioms are perfectly regular and predictable, as all dance music must be. If they weren't, you couldn't have all the members of a dance band and a roomful of dancers in perfect matching rhythm.

So out at a Highland Games I was chatting with a piper about Bulgarian music. He maintained that the music was "random". I countered by asking how a Bulgarian band and dancers all perform in matching rhythm. "I have a Doctorate in Music" he said "and I can tell something with a rhythm from something that's random".

I tried explaining Bulgarian rhythm, to no avail. He had that Doctorate, and nobody could tell him anything.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 08-14-2019 at 03:14 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #15
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
The head-shakingest part is when a comment like that comes from somebody with a Doctorate in Music!!

The background is that I used to play in a dance band that played a number of Bulgarian dance tunes. As many of you might know, Bulgarian folk dances occur in rhythms that seem strange to non-Bulgarians, but which in Bulgaria are as commonplace as the jig and reel are in Scotland.

These Bulgarian dance idioms are perfectly regular and predictable, as all dance music must be. If they weren't, you couldn't have all the members of a dance band and a roomful of dancers in perfect matching rhythm.

So out at a Highland Games I was chatting with a piper about Bulgarian music. He maintained that the music was "random". I countered by asking how a Bulgarian band and dancers all perform in matching rhythm. "I have a Doctorate in Music" he said "and I can tell something with a rhythm from something that's random".

I tried explaining Bulgarian rhythm, to no avail. He had that Doctorate, and nobody could tell him anything.
A DM doesn’t mean great musicianship. One of my piano professors couldn’t find beat 1 on a metronome.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #16
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

" he said "and I can tell something with a rhythm from something that's random".

Maybe it was a <grade 6 band...and it was random...
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Maybe it was a <grade 6 band...and it was random...
Actually we were discussing Bulgarian music, specifically the Ivo Papasov ensemble, which this eejit Doctor had heard.

But back to head-scratchers, one time I was out playing an a girl comes up and says "are you Scotch-Irish? My family is from Scotch-Ireland!"

Which reminds of my university teacher friend, who, during a US History final exam, was asked by one of the students "Is there a difference between England and New England?"

"Yes."

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 08-14-2019 at 12:19 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 AM   #18
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

''Can you just turn the volume down on those a tad please?''
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:32 AM   #19
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
''Can you just turn the volume down on those a tad please?''
A reason to bring smallpipes to the gig!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

Years ago I was playing a wedding that also had a string quartet. After the 'soundcheck' we were talking and one of the violinists asked, "How did you get this gig?"

"The union." I said.

"Which one?" say the violinist.

"The Musician's union." says I.
"What's your instrument?" from the violinist.
"Bagpipe." I said, a bit slowly.
"But that's not really a musical instrument is it?" she said, seeming very confused.
I left to get a beer.

Just this year I played a golf tournament that I've done for about 20 years. It involves playing each 4-5some over a suspension bridge from the 10th tee to the fairway. There are about 60 groups. I start at 7:45 and play the last group over around 5:45. I then hang around until 7:30 to act as the dinner bell. Anyway, as it's a long, somewhat boring day I entertain myself by never repeating a tune (except by request.) About group 45 I walked back to one of the tables outside the clubhouse, set down my pipes and took a seat to wait for the next group. There was a guy sitting nearby who'd been there most of the day. He said, "Man, you've been going all day!"
"Yep. Still have a ways to go." I replied.
"You ever going to play anything different?"
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote