Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
lumberjackpiper
Forum Member

Default Drone bell measuring

Hello All

Does anyone know of a way to measure the bell of a drone top, including the exact shape of the bell, without removing the bushing? Xray machine isn't really an option for me, and I'm curious on the shapes of the bell from different sets.

To be clear, I'm looking for the internal shape after the bore and under the bushing. Usually it's something of a parabolic shape, but different makers used different shapes
Old 09-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: drone bell measuring

This may sound strange, but I wonder if an ultrasound unit such as used by surgeons and obstetricians would do it?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:36 AM   #3
Conrad84
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Drone bell measuring

The Asturian pipemaker Chus Solis seems to use a long piece of putty. Have a look at his Instagram photos here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhbVQLZhs0_/

Different instrument, but same problem!
Conrad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
super8mm
Forum Member

If you can get something in there to press it down to the sides a pipe cleaner might work. Its soft and should not scratch anything.
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

another thought: if you have calipers, measure the outside diameter, then the wall thickness in several spots to get an idea of the parabola's dimensions?
Old 09-25-2019, 02:16 AM   #6
Wulls

Problem here is getting past the ring cap. Most ring caps are circa 12mm and the outside of the bell is circa 24mm.
so you need a bent paper clip with an 8mm "L" at the end.
Place it in the bell and work it in and out to get an idea of the shape, bells are usually less than an inch long.
If you hold the paper clip paralell to the axis of the drone top you can measure the gap between the ringcap bore and the paper clip and sketch the shape at say 6 points. That will let you sketch the profile and make a flat scraper to form the bell.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #7
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

It wouldn't give you detailed measurements but you certainly could get an idea of shape using a cheap and cheerful "Multi-functional digital microscope". I have one that only cost about 10. It plugs into your computer, phone or table via USb and is outfitted with it's own light. They are sold on fleabay for looking into/cleaning ears etc. You might need a mirror on a wire attached to the end to look into the corners though. They are a fun and handy wee gadget to have for looking into small, dark and hard to reach spaces as well. Basically a budget version of an endoscope.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote