Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Soda Shoppe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soda Shoppe For young pipers, drummers, and others not quite old enough for the beer tent.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #31
Highland Harry
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Tunes You Hate?

Quote:
I would rather decline the money then play that tune, even well...
That's not even funny in the least!

Here's a lesson for all you Amatuer musicians, AG is not a tune, it's a song that needs to be highly respected.

When people ask you to play it, play it with pride and have the decensy to not take their money for wanting to hear it once again on the pipes.

Always remember when you are making your fast easy money at a funeral service, people are not paying you, they are paying for a tradition to help honour the person they just lost.
Highland Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #32
Don Robertson
Holy smoking keyboard!

I can't stand High Road to Gairloch and Highland Laddie. Anyway, just about any tune in the College of Pipings first tutor grates on my nerves. BTW, "Danny Boy" isn't a tune for the pipes, it's the song. Like the others have posted, it stinks when played on GHB's. The tune played without words, is the "Londonderry Air". Old news, I know, but sometimes, guys need to know these things, huh ?!
Oh yea, if your true to the Nationalist cause, it's, "The Derry Air".

Glad to be of help.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #33
CreekNation
Forum Clasp

High Road to Gairloch can actually rock pretty good when phrased right at the right tempo, as can Highland Laddie as long as you hit those second part repeated F doublings openly on the fricking nose without seeming to rush. Even Brown Haired Maiden can kick with some big fat open heavy D throws at medium tempo!

You just gotta step away from those COP tutor tunes (for at least 25 years, hehe) and approach them fresh. Trust me
CreekNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #34
CreekNation
Forum Clasp

Cooner, I agree that when you play it a funeral you play it with all due respect. It is a tune imbued with powerful emotions for many, many people.

And screwing around with it in massed bands is tacky.

But if you get a request for it when busking, you should always ask for at least US$5.

Kinda like the legendary sign at the old Preservation Hall bandstand in New Orleans: "Requests - $1. When the Saints go Marching In - $5"

Quote:
Originally posted by Conner:

Here's a lesson for all you Amatuer musicians, AG is not a tune, it's a song that needs to be highly respected.

When people ask you to play it, play it with pride and have the decensy to not take their money for wanting to hear it once again on the pipes.

Always remember when you are making your fast easy money at a funeral service, people are not paying you, they are paying for a tradition to help honour the person they just lost.
CreekNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #35
daryl
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Haha guys. I hate Miss Kirkwood. Make me feel like sleeping.
daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #36
macdonald_piperdude_pipers
Forum Member

Balmoral, Amazing Grace, Highland Cthedral, Scots Wae Hae/Bruce's address and the brown haired maiden .... played them more than you've had hot dinners!

http://www.hampshire-caledonian.co.uk
macdonald_piperdude_pipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #37
piping-hot

defanitly Highland Cathedral, amazing grace and i see mull
piping-hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:16 PM   #38
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

It's interesting to read the selections and, in some cases, the reasons for disliked tunes and songs. And some are having fun, which is--along with information--what we certainly want.

If I may add something for those with students:
Grit your teeth through the tunes you dislike and try not to express your bias. I've seen too many instances where a young player has disliked a tune for no other reason than their instructor disliked it or, worse, refused to teach it.

I dislike "Highland Laddie", but it's a must and my students have to learn it. Some will like it; some won't...but that's their decision, not mine.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #39
piper20

i HAte highland laddie-heard it over a thousand times and Green Hills of tyrol , The high road to Linton

~Anthony~
piper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #40
Warren Lau
Forum Member

Not trying to be odd.... But I hate Scotland the Brave as a tune to play since there's a lot of C doublings and it's kinda hard to focus on playing all those doublings clearly and crisp. Despite of that, it's a better exercise of C doublings than any other exercises in the world.
Warren Lau is offline   Reply With Quote