Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #11
piping-hot
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Oh no!! Another crack!!

ABW chanter tops... Some split, some dont.
It's not the end of the world, and any good maker will offer a replacement at a reduced price. (outside normal guarantee)
Trouble with plastic chanters.
They are not cheap enough
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #12
Wulls

This thread has happened before, and before that and before that.........We all know AB will crack if it is allowed to swell and contract. The biggest problem is the quality of wood available nowadays. In the dark ages of natural (ie slow) seasoning of wood the raw material was more resistant to cracking. Now we are into kiln dried wood which cracks if you look at it the wrong way. Modern moisture controll systems look after drones fairly well but a PC is doomed if the wood is too dry when it was made. We are then looking at mitigation strategies. If you like the look of AB get the top bored out to accept a piece of 3/4 plastic tube and glue it in. Looks good and no more cracks. I have repaired dozens of PCs like that and there has never been a repeat performance.
One for piping-hot, there is very little difference in price between the raw material of a poly chanter and a blackwood one. The wood just takes a little more care. The quality of the sound is mainly down to the workmanship, not the material. IMHO. Wulls.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:06 PM   #13
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm with redhairedpiper and piping-hot (jeez, that's a combination). I have probably a dozen PCs of all types, although my principal one is a 1937 Henderson (purely emotional attachment--don't draw me into a sound thing on PCs) and it's remained solid. Two others, however, are cracked, while all the other wood ones are still intact.
As Iain points out, not oiling an old set of pipes says it all. As as the others point out, the very best makers can have problems; but the very best makers generally back up their products. When all is said and done, however, I certainly sympathize with you--for I know how I'd be after all that cracking. Good luck to you.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:19 AM   #14
piping-hot
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

For wulls, In my experience, the price of materials between ABW and Poly chanters does not compare.
I can make a poly chanter for 1/10 of the material cost of an ABW one.
Slainte
James.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:27 AM   #15
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

the wooden tops (assume it's blackwood) of two of my p.c.'s cracked, one a long time ago, one last year. Nothing a bit of super glue wouldn't fix.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:00 AM   #16
M.Painter
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via AIM to M.Painter

Quote:
or buy a (shudder)...polypenco practice chanter... (did I say that outloud?
I was having the same problems and even with oiling, I had 3 tops crack on me. I bought a nail poly and it's the best sounding chanter i've owned yet.

Mike
Old 06-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #17
Wulls

I have checked again after the post from James (piping hot) I currently pay around 2.50 for a bottom section blank and 3.50 for a top section blank which does two chanters, i.e. 4.25 for wood and a few coppers for a bit of im ivory. This compares to 6.00 per meter of 25mm plastic which does 2 chanters. OK we all know plastic is cheaper but the point I was making is that it is the workmanship that makes the difference. Even if the plastic was free there would still be more than a fiver difference between AB and plastic chanters simply because there is far more time and effort put onto a decent AB chanter.