Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-05-2003, 06:58 AM   #11
Scottydog
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Champion Chanters

Pick the most expensive chanter out there...that is the best one...right????

I have asked opinions on here as well...like types of pipes..etc. Everyone is going to have an opinion. People are going to push thing they own or sell. The top names of pipes that Bob has in the bagpipe directory is a very good starting point to get links to information regarding different pipes, chanters, and reeds.

This is the POINT...what you like (sound wise) is going to be different than almost anyone on this forum. Some people like mellooooo...some people like loud...some people like crisp sound...some people like a chanter with great resonance...they are all good/great depending on what you like.

Music is different from one person to the next...heck all our senses are that way...what you like to see...hear...taste...etc. may not be that great for me or someone else.

You can't go wrong with the big names....BUT still it is a personal preference...and that is the bottom line!

www.lochielemeraldsociety.org
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-05-2003, 08:22 AM   #12
Brendan Dunne
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottydog:
Pick the most expensive chanter out there...that is the best one...right????
Nope.

Quote:
This is the POINT...what you like (sound wise) is going to be different than almost anyone on this forum. Some people like mellooooo...some people like loud...some people like crisp sound...some people like a chanter with great resonance...they are all good/great depending on what you like.
Yes, good point

Quote:
Music is different from one person to the next...heck all our senses are that way...what you like to see...hear...taste...etc. may not be that great for me or someone else.

You can't go wrong with the big names....BUT still it is a personal preference...and that is the bottom line!
True again...but one has to start somewhere. That 'somewhere' is usually another's opinion. The knowledge doesn't happen by cosmic flux. It does take some research.
Here's hoping that Viper (and anyone else) find what they are looking for.

By the way - I like the Currie also. I don't have one cuz my Dunbar kazoo works just fine and I am a cheap sob.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:28 AM   #13
Scottydog
Forum Silver Medal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leprechaun:
Quote:
[qb] Pick the most expensive chanter out there...that is the best one...right????
Nope.

I was being Sarcastic...if you didnt know...hehe

www.lochielemeraldsociety.org
Old 06-05-2003, 01:04 PM   #14
Brendan Dunne
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Nope.

I was being Sarcastic...if you didnt know...hehe
Old 06-08-2003, 08:27 PM   #15
Happy
Forum Regular

A lot of really good tone is determined by the reed being used. You can take pretty much any chanter that is drilled with a 5/32 bore with sound holes reasonably spaced and get awesome tone if the reed is right. I've played a $45 no-named plastic chanters with a really good reed that sounded better than $500 ABW PC with sterling everything and a so-so reed. The same goes for pipe chanters too! Obviously, there are some poorly made chanters that are not bored well that will never give a good tone, even when properly reeded. But for the most part, you can't go too wrong if you try out the obvious makers. If there is someone you know that has a chanter that sounds really awesome, see if they will let you try that reed in your chanter. You'll likely be amazed.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:52 AM   #16
piping-hot
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I could not agree more with happy about reeds. I use warnock's and find these super.
Anybody play with these?