Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-31-2003, 01:56 PM   #1
piping-hot
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Hard to play reeds?

Hi,
Perhaps it is just me, but every " medium strength " reed I have bought, seems to be made for some superhuman. I find no pleasure in piping with a headache
The solution, for me has always been shaving a reed, instead of blowing it in for endless hours. So I have made an adaptor, a chanter stalk that takes an airline adaptor, so I can plug my chanter into it (THIS REQUIRES A VERY LOW AIR PRESSURE REGULATOR) Tape the chanter to low A and with CAREFUL air regulation I can make the compressor do the work of blowing in the reed.
Having done this with quite a few previously impossible to blow reeds with good results.
What do you think?
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-31-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Emmet Bondurant
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Emmet Bondurant
Default Re: Hard to play reeds?

What PSI do you set it to? What kind of regulator do you use?
Old 08-01-2003, 04:16 AM   #3
Renny
Forum Silver Medal

Someone had built something like this and was selling it on ebay at one time. Looks like it held several reeds and blew the air through a water tank to hydrate the reeds also. This would have to be a garage item, can you imagine 6 reeds going at one time for about 24 hrs straight. Someone would really be ready to hang you in a very short time.
As far as air pressure Emmett, I'd say start low and increase slowly until you get that reed to hum for you.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:51 AM   #4
Scott Malcolm
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via AIM to Scott Malcolm

Have you tried any soutar mediums? I find they are a bit easier than some other brands. I even bought a medium-soft to try out and it's really easy to play and still projects well.

Scott
Old 08-01-2003, 06:42 AM   #5
JimF
Forum Regular

If you buy them from Chris (Tone Czar)he lets you specify easy medium, medium, and hard medium. I'm thinking he's checking them on some kind of manometer. I've been happy ordering easy mediums from him, but I think I may have to soon graduate to medium which will leave me with some easy medium McCann's. People around here have just been waiting for objective evidence that I am a blow hard, I'm getting there.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
Chris Hamilton

Quote:
Originally posted by JimF:
If you buy them from Chris (Tone Czar)he lets you specify easy medium, medium, and hard medium. I'm thinking he's checking them on some kind of manometer.
No manometer, just a Chris-o-meter. I put the reed in the chanter and blow it ... that's how I gauge the strength.

If you find medium reeds too hard, then just ask for easy reeds. There's nothing wrong with that!

Chris