Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #31
Mike Greene
Administrator
Wizard of Oz

Default Re: what gets my goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrsion
Thirdly, when I referenced the alleged number of members on the forums, I was referring to the number of members who have zero posts. Which I am sure, if you check, is a large number. So, how many members are there really contributing to the forums?
Quite a few actually, sure we see the top posters the most but overall there are a lot of folks creating dicussion and contributing to current discussion.

Quote:
Finally. As for making a discussion on the Frasers concert myself. I did not feel the need to make a new topic as there was already a discussion started. But, that discussion had 7 posts and only 1 had anything to do with the concert.
I can only suggest in this case what I would have done, and that would have been to add to that dicussion by saying,

"what about the drumming section, or how did you feel the tune selection complimented X or Y"

I think you get what I'm saying here, and that is, drive the dicussion by adding your thoughts to it and see where it goes. A lot of the time dicussions go in different directions simply due to one post. Help guide the dicussions by participating and adding your thoughts to it.

Quote:
I guess these forums cater more to the beginner piper/drummer and street bands than it does those who follow the masters of our trade.
Not true at all, there are very high calibre dicussions ranging from total beginner to very advanced topics.

Quote:
Judging by the blast received in the above posts, it may be time for me to pack up my keyboard.
That is your choice of course, but I hope you decide to stay and continue to particpate.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #32
Itchyknee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Posts about road-kill sporrans (and how to make them) interest me far more than gossip about the "top" bands.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #33
Wulls

I'm trying to keep this relevant and piping oriented.....honest!!!!

This is the biggest and busiest piping forum out there....full stop. The archive in T&I is a treasure trove of knowledge and advice.
So the review section has not had a review for a while.......... Put one there if you feel that way but don't complain that other folk don't do what you don't do......
Jeeze it's easy.
Participate if you want.....lurk if you want.
Don't moan.....please...... That gets my goat
Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #34
Celtic Mitch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Morrison, it might surprise you to know that quite a few top level bands forbid their band members to come onto forums, not just this one, and post. I'm not joking, I know of at least 4 people that play in different bands that have been told, do not post on forums. Why? Probably so that band members don't get drawn into silly arguments, like this one, and get a reputation that maybe not be welcome which could reflect on the band.

As for people giving a review on the concert, you got one, from the heart beat of the band itself, Johnny Rowe. It may also surprise you that there may not be as many people from that area that attended the concert that come on here. (there were allot of "that's" in that sentence ha ha) There were many events going on that evening, I for one, was at the George Sherriff Memorial Piping Competition because I was volunteering.

I have huge respect for this forum and for the moderators that do the job they do. I totally see where Ken was coming from with his comments. As he said, if you don't like what you see here...move along. Generally, everyone gets on here quite well. Heated discussions pop up from time to time but when you have such a diverse mix of people from the world at large coming on to discuss things that are of mutual interest to us all, things get torn up once in a while. It happens...that's what makes us so special.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #35
JFAB
Forum Gold Medal

QUOTE From Celtic Mitch: it might surprise you to know that quite a few top level bands forbid their band members to come onto forums, not just this one, and post. I'm not joking, I know of at least 4 people that play in different bands that have been told, do not post on forums. Why? Probably so that band members don't get drawn into silly arguments, like this one, and get a reputation that maybe not be welcome which could reflect on the band. QUOTE

Geeze, wonder why?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #36
Roger Huth

I don't believe it.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #37
Wulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Huth
I don't believe it.
I do....
Think about it Roger....after a particularly baffling session of wagging the pencill (last year, pitlochry for instance) what do you think some of the pipers would be saying if they were "unleashed". I suspect the RSPBA would take a dim view of their ajudicators being harrangued by identifiable members of a top band.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:47 AM   #38
Pfolson
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roberts
It's too bad the "Who's Online" box at the right doesn't distinguish members from "non-entities."
Just had to say: Thanks for that, Jim.

Paul
Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #39
Phil Lenihan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Participate if you want.....lurk if you want.
That's how I feel.

There is a subject line so you can skip the subjects you choose not to read.

Really, all you are required to do is follow the rules. No place in the rules does it say you have to participate, your choice.

It is nice to say thank you every once in a while.

Cheers! PHIL

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot
Another day with no plans to use Calculus
Old 11-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #40
Charlie Rutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Mitch
Morrison, it might surprise you to know that quite a few top level bands forbid their band members to come onto forums, not just this one, and post. I'm not joking, I know of at least 4 people that play in different bands that have been told, do not post on forums.
IF this is true, (which I doubt)

THEN the originators of such a policy need a serious reality check.

Its a f3@k!N PIPE BAND, for cryin out loud:

NOT the CIA!