Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #41
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: what gets my goat

Charlie, I just assumed that members of the bigger pipe bands wouldn't post on here because it would be frowned upon. Makes sense to me. Also you say, "It's a fr'n pipe band for crying out loud." I think the bands that are on the top of the heap look at the band a little differently than a parade band that enjoys playing and drinking beer. The big guys don't post for a reason. I have been on here for a very long time and it is uncommon for a big solo piper say much of anything let alone a top level band piper. Nothing to gain for them. Only lose I suspect.

That is the way I see it anyway. If I was a member of a top level band, I wouldn't post out of courtesy for the band. No need for some verbose band member giving the band a bad name in any way. Like it or not, that is just the way it is I suspect.
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #42
ghettopipes
Forum Silver Medal

Interesting... I can see both sides of the issue. The piping world has its politics. I'm all for free speech, but I'm sure ive posted irresponsibly many times, often while tipping back a few drinks ,feeling a bit too opinionated and/or mischeviously inappropriate. for which i apologize (if neccesary). I wouldn't want to embarass or misrepresent the homies by saying something stupid.
;O)
Old 11-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #43
Celtic Mitch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Rutan
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Celtic Mitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Morrison, it might surprise you to know that quite a few top level bands forbid their band members to come onto forums, not just this one, and post. I'm not joking, I know of at least 4 people that play in different bands that have been told, do not post on forums.
IF this is true, (which I doubt)

THEN the originators of such a policy need a serious reality check.

Its a f3@k!N PIPE BAND, for cryin out loud:

NOT the CIA!

</div></div>

I can assure you it is true.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #44
Bayoupiper
Forum Clasp

In my short years of piping I have found that pipe band politics make US politics look like a kindergarden spat!

So, yes I can see where band members would be discouraged from posting............

Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #45
minerva
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Can you say "pseudonym"?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #46
shottsfan
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Mitch
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie Rutan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Celtic Mitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Morrison, it might surprise you to know that quite a few top level bands forbid their band members to come onto forums, not just this one, and post. I'm not joking, I know of at least 4 people that play in different bands that have been told, do not post on forums.

NOT the CIA!

</div></div>

I can assure you it is true. </div></div>

I also know this is true. I have heard it from many pipers and drummers, and not just from the "top" bands.

Morrison, I hope you decide to stick around. Some things you just have to let roll off your back. No worries. Just have fun and enjoy yourself.

Deanna
aka shottsfan
Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #47
rpeitzsch
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva
Can you say "pseudonym"?
Nice thought, but usually within a few posts people who know the person will have figured them out. Just because they've been forbidden from posting doesn't mean that they don't read the forums.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #48
BGB
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Mitch
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie Rutan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Celtic Mitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Morrison, it might surprise you to know that quite a few top level bands forbid their band members to come onto forums, not just this one, and post. I'm not joking, I know of at least 4 people that play in different bands that have been told, do not post on forums.

NOT the CIA!

</div></div>

I can assure you it is true. </div></div>

I'll second that. Look how often I post. I'm actually just breaking the rules by posting this!!!
Well, it's not rule really. More of a firm discouragement
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #49
Brian Erbe
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Celtic Mitch
Morrison, it might surprise you to know that quite a few top level bands forbid their band members to come onto forums, not just this one, and post. I'm not joking, I know of at least 4 people that play in different bands that have been told, do not post on forums.

NOT the CIA!

Tis true. A friend of mine recently joined a top band was was told not to post on the forums. The reason wasn't to keep them out of squabling matches, but to keep the bands reputation out of whatever issue came up. They didn't want people to think that is so-and-so says this then their band must agree as well and backs up so-and-so's opinion.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #50
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

That's kind of sad. They could be a lot of help in technique abd instrument or the teachers' lounge. Oh well....the price of success.